got ethical husbandry?

Cutting up my live rock

neuro

Webmaster
I'm contemplating cutting up my live rock.

Has anyone used a regular hack saw to do it?

Looking for the most efficient way to do this.

Also, if anyone can offer tips, it would be great. I'm looking to cut up the live rock with the coral on it to separate things out.

Chisel and fracture it. Or large bandsaw.

A tile saw may work well also. But the saw has to be mounted and you move the rock to cut it. The other around may lead to too much vibration and crack your corals

I had good luck with a masonry drill.
(Not a hammer drill)
You drill a bunch of holes, then pry with a screwdriver or gently
tap with a cold chisel.

This works on the really weird shapes as well, where you want
to cut the center part without damaging the outside.

But it takes patience. Might be quite a few holes needed.

If the coral is small, try prying it out, a wood chisel would work but don't blow too hard.
A grinder with a masonry blade will work wonders, use the metal shield and get some work glasses to cover your eyes, you don't want some of the bacteria to get into your eyes. A hacksaw will work but might be a lot of effort as the teeth might clog too much; tried it before and ended using the grinder.

hmm thanks everyone. I was told that a bandsaw wouldn't work well.

i'll try a handsaw and a hammer/chisel combo
I am surprised a bandsaw would not work well. Since butchers use it all the time to cut through frozen meat and bones. It cuts directly through the bones which is basically calcium bone structure. Can't imagine rock (i.e. Calcium carbonate) is not cuttable.

Heck, people use bandsaws the cut metal all the time.

Band saws work too, I have a small one; tried once to cut a rock but the shape and size of the rock made me go a different route. Small pieces were ok but the saw has certain clearance and rocks would not pass it.
I believe to have an Inland band saw somewhere; have not seen it while clearing/moving equipment but is for small pieces only.

What kind of rock is this?

Real live rock?
Mined rock?
Ceramic based artificial rock (example: Real Reef)

Some rock is very easy to cut. Some of the dense rocks take longer time with the bandsaw, but its do-able.

Anyone ever try using a bandsaw on "Real Reef" ceramic rock? It is SO hard, takes forever to cut with a diamond blade.

Small stuff - dremel with a diamond blade. I've used a Sawzall with a dIamond blade on bigger cuts. The chisel method works too, just not as precise...

If you do decide to try the hacksaw - get a diamond blade to avoid the clogging issues.

Back