Our mission

Sick Yellow Tang?

Hi, all. It has been quite a while since my last post, and I apologize. Tank is running well and everyone is mostly happy.

Last night I noticed my yellow tang had a pretty bad scratch on it. Today it looks terrible. I don't have a quarantine tank (I can turn a container into one if necessary), but first wanted to get thoughts on what this might be.

Fish is eating as normal and swimming as normal. Color on the under belly is a bit whiter than normal is some splotchy sections, and the side is as you see it.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9722.JPG
    IMG_9722.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 386
I stopped into Aquatic Collections in Hayward this afternoon. I really like those guys. Great stock too....

They confirmed suspicions it is not uronema, but most likely the yellow got into it with a tank-mate or scratched something terribly hard in the tank. I'm edging on a spiny urchin. I've got 2 and they are way to big for my 120. (trade anyone?) The fish also has a much smaller, fading red line on the other side too. They suggested Selcon mixed into the next few dinners. I gave a bit extra too. 1 Brine shrimp, 1 Mysis shrimp and 1 generic "marine cuisine" they all love. Gave a bit of an extra dose and not a drop was left 3.5 minutes into a 5 minute feed cycle on the Apex. The injured yellow ate like its usual champ. As I type it is picking at rocks looking for leftovers. Good sign. I know hopefulness is not an answer, but right now that's where I'm at.

@aqua-nut; I have a 5 year old blue damsel (1 in a bag of 10 for $5 at 6th Ave) as well as a nemo bought on the same day as said damsel for $3. Roughly 15 months ago, a good friend with a 500 gallon FO tank passed away. Two weeks prior, my 11 year old Sailfin (Isabelle. Bitch.) passed too. Thankfully, I was left with a basically empty tank and was able to adopt a blue tang he had for 7 years, a pair of Tomato Clowns he has had for over 10 years and this pair of yellow tangs he was said to have had for more than 5 years. There is also a large jaw goby (actual species unexplored, 6th Ave purchase) that is a frontal fish and two other lawnmower blennies (again from 6th Ave) that you get to see from time to time. Those three have been in the tank for a few years now, can't recall. And of course an assorted cleanup crew that gets added too every now and again....

That all said, I am a bad reef keeper and my water is down right filthy. I will get back on my water change cycle. I am sorry fishes.
Ben

And stop goin to 6th ave if you haven't already!!!!!

Exactly what I was going to say! Please do NOT shop here. One of the worst stores in terms of how they house, and care for their live stock that I have ever seen. The fish are netted over and over by the customers just to look at them, and then put back while they net another. It's really bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back