High Tide Aquatics

[April 23, 2016] Professional Demo: Reef Aquascaping Techniques by Jestersix

Banner.png

Information

• Date: April 23, 2016
  • Time: 12:30PM - 1:30PM
  • Speaker: Johnny Searcy (@jestersix )
Meeting Components
  • "Reef Aquascaping Demonstration and Techniques" (such as how to use Emaco) Talk
    • Johnny will build a rock structure and talk about aqua scaping principles!
  • Raffle Prize(s)
  • Pick Up Pre-order Products

Does your aquascape look like a pile of rocks?
pilerocks2.jpg

Want to learn how to make interesting aquascapes that are pleasing to the eye and functional for fish and corals?

Floating2.jpg

d042cddceae0da4e10e5b3dc223bcbd3.jpg

Come learn some reef aqua scaping techniques with Jestersix! Johnny from Jestersix is a professional reef aquascaping consultant. He travels all over California to do custom aquascape builds for hobbyists and businesses. Working with his clients, he can help and teach you how to build aquascapes the right way! Planning and aesthetics are essential! We are very lucky to have Johnny come teach some general techniques of his trade for us.

_MG_9764_zpsufam7v91.jpg

12734229_587191978112397_3184998353966872010_n.jpg

photo25.JPG

Not everyone can build rock structures like Johnny. I personally know people who have crashed their tanks trying to make their own rocks and using concrete improperly.

Pre-orders on his Regular Stock Items (he can bring them to the Event)
  • Master Emaco N427 and A660
    • #5 Kit: $35
    • #10 Kit: $50
    • #15 Kit: $60
  • Single Space Frag Domes ($10 for 4)
  • Mini Domes ($5 for 20)
  • 7 Dead Frag Racks ($20
  • Perfect 10 Frag Racks ($20)
  • Lucky 13 Frag Racks ($40)
  • BlackJack 21 Frag Racks ($50)
  • Blenny Bottle (Small $15, Large $25)
  • Starwars Frag Plugs
  • Chthulu Disc ($3)
  • Easter Island Head Frag Plug (3 for $5)
  • Mod Skull ($5)
  • Mini Domes (20 for $5)
  • Chalice Rock Rounds Large (4 for $5)
  • Chalice Rock Rounds Small (12 for $5)
  • Chalice Rock Squares (4 for $5)
  • 3.5 Inch Frag Disc ($2)
  • 3.5 Inch Chalice Rock Disc ($3)
  • 1 x 2 Flats (20 for $5)
  • 2 x 2 Flats (8 for $5)
  • Clam Cradles 3.5 Inch ($5)
5D294949-7888-4888-8549-0E33094C15CD_zpswlyb4ghp.jpg 12104984_1735946736624798_235816674_n.jpg 12276790_930184330391037_1147079731_n.jpg
Click to Enlarge Pictures.

If interested in pre-orders, send an email to jestersix@gmail.com also more product pictures on his Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why yes, my aquascape IS a big solid pile of rock and I will be redoing it this summer. What great timing is this demo to give me tips and ideas!

I saw the picture of the overhang a week ago on another groups page and contacted Jestersix this week to do my new tank. I'll let you know how it turns out.

View attachment 4779

Check out this epic gravity defying overhang rock structure made by Jestersix.
As awesome as this is, that would worry me, my mind is just trying to calculate the center of mass for that structure, and while I could see how it is actually over the very tiny edge of the base, if you have too much coral growing on the far side that thing could tip over... unless there's some sort of extended base that is hidden by the sand.

As awesome as this is, that would worry me, my mind is just trying to calculate the center of mass for that structure, and while I could see how it is actually over the very tiny edge of the base, if you have too much coral growing on the far side that thing could tip over... unless there's some sort of extended base that is hidden by the sand.

image.jpg

What I think.

I make sure they won't tip. The overhang in question would take around 35 pounds at the tip - to tip. If you can grow 35 pounds of coral in that space - all I can say is WOW. It takes a bit of planning, but really not hard to over engineer them safely. Probably not an easy project for the DIYers, but not too many are looking for that style.

I make sure they won't tip. The overhang in question would take around 35 pounds at the tip - to tip. If you can grow 35 pounds of coral in that space - all I can say is WOW. It takes a bit of planning, but really not hard to over engineer them safely. Probably not an easy project for the DIYers, but not too many are looking for that style.
Well back in my younger days when I was a bit more virile I could grow that much coral... but point taken ;)

Was not sure what to expect, but I was glad that I made it to this event. I came away with a lot of knowledge and information. Thank You, Jester.

Yeah I gotta pick up some of the emaco kit. Been using the epoxy sticks with success but its a pain and expensive for the amount.

Emaco=awesome, quick, and reef safe after +20 minutes.

Back