Cali Kid Corals

TGunn's 90g Reef

I use 2-part marine epoxy inside a stand and ventilate as well as I can. At home it is not so bad with area closed off and windows open but had to completely close up everything at the school and the fumes were horrible. I would do it again, though.

I use 2-part marine epoxy inside a stand and ventilate as well as I can. At home it is not so bad with area closed off and windows open but had to completely close up everything at the school and the fumes were horrible. I would do it again, though.
I'm guessing you chose the marine epoxy for ultimate durability and waterproofing ?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yep. Epoxy rocks, like the type you put on bartops. My husband suggested it for aquarium stuff, sailboat, furniture in my old classroom, etc. Water will not soak into the wood of my stand or leak out. Now I wish I could do something about the rusting door fasteners...

Yep. Epoxy rocks, like the type you put on bartops. My husband suggested it for aquarium stuff, sailboat, furniture in my old classroom, etc. Water will not soak into the wood of my stand or leak out. Now I wish I could do something about the rusting door fasteners...
Where did you get the 2 part epoxy paint? What is the coverage like for it? I might go this route for ultimate durability.

Yeah the hardware always rusts out quick. You may be able to paint them and then just ensure you keep the moving parts lightly greased and they shouldnt rust.

We have used all 3 of these brands with success:
http://www.aeromarineproducts.com
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/fiberglass/epoxy_resins/tap_marine_grade_epoxy_system/27
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-system---105-epoxy-resin--P004_120_001_503
You can add resin tints but I think we have not used them. I once painted table aprons then sealed over with epoxy. Tricky to use - does not go on like paint.
Ah right I forgot all about Tap, and I've seen the epoxy while there. Perfect.

I think I'll probably go for a tint.

Thanks for the tips!

Oh, to have more time, oh to have more time. I really would like to have gotten into building my sump and top off bin. However a couple weekends ago we got a puppy, so we've been busy getting him adjusted to his new home, and all the various puppy-proofing projects that come along with it.

Lately, the leasing company at my apartment complex has become.... more erratic. My wife caught them taking photos of our patio, because apparently the vine plant we have that has grown onto the surrounding fence is "damaging" the fence. I also recently discovered some very dodgy wiring when a light switch broke -- nothing like aluminum wiring in non-aluminium certified fixtures to make you feel safe. The yearly "habitability inspections" are also coming up, you know that yearly time when they invade my privacy to check in on my place. In any case, I have a feeling that if I set up the 90g aquarium we will likely end up with a "shut it down or be evicted" order.

I'm going to forge ahead with my sump and top off builds and getting the various things required to set up the tank ready, but I'm going to wait a bit and see how things go here. I suspect we may consider moving or getting a house later this year, so I would rather not have a newly setup tank to worry about.

Oh, to have more time, oh to have more time. I really would like to have gotten into building my sump and top off bin. However a couple weekends ago we got a puppy, so we've been busy getting him adjusted to his new home, and all the various puppy-proofing projects that come along with it.

Lately, the leasing company at my apartment complex has become.... more erratic. My wife caught them taking photos of our patio, because apparently the vine plant we have that has grown onto the surrounding fence is "damaging" the fence. I also recently discovered some very dodgy wiring when a light switch broke -- nothing like aluminum wiring in non-aluminium certified fixtures to make you feel safe. The yearly "habitability inspections" are also coming up, you know that yearly time when they invade my privacy to check in on my place. In any case, I have a feeling that if I set up the 90g aquarium we will likely end up with a "shut it down or be evicted" order.

I'm going to forge ahead with my sump and top off builds and getting the various things required to set up the tank ready, but I'm going to wait a bit and see how things go here. I suspect we may consider moving or getting a house later this year, so I would rather not have a newly setup tank to worry about.
Sounds like that's probably a good idea.

Needless to say the overarching management company is going to be hearing from me. I'm pretty pissed about the invasion of privacy.

You will be talking, and the sound will reach them, but I predict that they will somehow fail to hear...
I'm writing a letter and I fully expect nothing will come of it. I know well that if I call them I will end up just getting super mad and yelling at them, probably saying some things that will surely get me evicted. :)

If you have been living there for a long time. They are probably looking for excuse to get you out to get higher rent from the next person probably.

If you have been living there for a long time. They are probably looking for excuse to get you out to get higher rent from the next person probably.
I've been here for 2 1/2 years. So it woudlnt surprise me. It doesn't seem many people are here super long term.

Well we went and saw a mortgage advisor and determined we can actually afford a house. Coming from the prairies it's shocking how much the bank will loan us, but a bit sad how little they gets. Lol.

So the 90g will definitely be waiting until we get a house -- I'm guessing realistically in the fall.

Which area are you looking at? We have done a good amount of real estate and this market is scary.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
When we moved here we had our hearts set on Sunnyvale, but the prices have gone up so much that realistically we are not going to be able to afford that. I mean I see the occasional house at or just below a million but it's usually pretty rough. I also notice more and more houses being hugely expanded or replaced outright so having the cheap house is likely not best either.

I suspect South Bay in areas like Cambrian or Willow Glen is where we will look. Houses are listing there around the price point we are looking at. The commute to Goog from there will kinda suck but I think that's just the reality of it.

We originally thought to do a townhome but after dealing with the leasing company here I want nothing to do with an HOA.

Congratulations on the decision to buy a house!

Just as a heads up, the mortgage is just a small part of the cost of homeownership.

Property taxes is something that many 1st time homebuyers don't take into account when budgeting. Utilities like power/water and additional fees like HOA can really bloat the monthly expenditure numbers.

Fall can be a hit or miss in real estate. There is usually low inventory so prices can be driven higher with multiple bids but bargains can be had if you can get to a seller that needs to sell before the other buyers.

If you need a recommendation for a real estate agent let me know. Mine was excellent and does a lot of houses in the Cupertino/Sunnyvale area as well most of the South Bay.

If you are looking in Cupertino/Sunnyvale. Be prepared for sticker shock!

I recommend to start going to open houses now, so you get an idea of what type of houses you like and what can you get at what price in what area.

Good luck with the home search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the decision to buy a house!

Just as a heads up, the mortgage is just a small part of the cost of homeownership.

Property taxes is something that many 1st time homebuyers don't take into account when budgeting. Utilities like power/water and additional fees like HOA can really bloat the monthly expenditure numbers.

Fall can be a hit or miss in real estate. There is usually low inventory so prices can be driven higher with multiple bids but bargains can be had if you can get to a seller that needs to sell before the other buyers.

If you need a recommendation for a real estate agent let me know. Mine was excellent and does a lot of houses in the Cupertino/Sunnyvale area as well most of the South Bay.

If you are looking in Cupertino/Sunnyvale. Be prepared for sticker shock!

I recommend to start going to open houses now, so you get an idea of what type of houses you like and what can you get at what price in what area.

Good luck with the home search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a mortgage advisor give some advise on what we can afford. We are trying to buy based on my salary alone rather than my wife and mine combined. Heh yes we are very organized -- a budget planning spreadsheet is in the works which will include all the expected costs for a house such as insurance, quake insurance, etc. :)

Yeah Cupertino and Sunnyvale is out if hand.

Hmm interesting point on fall. We will see how things go. We're going to start touring neighborhoods and houses now to get a better feel for what our budget looks like.

Ideally we'd like to move by the end of the year since that is when our lease is up, an hour complex is ridiculous for going month to month ($10k/mo).

When we moved here we had our hearts set on Sunnyvale, but the prices have gone up so much that realistically we are not going to be able to afford that. I mean I see the occasional house at or just below a million but it's usually pretty rough. I also notice more and more houses being hugely expanded or replaced outright so having the cheap house is likely not best either.

I suspect South Bay in areas like Cambrian or Willow Glen is where we will look. Houses are listing there around the price point we are looking at. The commute to Goog from there will kinda suck but I think that's just the reality of it.

We originally thought to do a townhome but after dealing with the leasing company here I want nothing to do with an HOA.

Having served on various HOA board myself I'm in the pro-HOA camp lol. Unlike building management, HOA goal is not to make profit but to keep the peace. Most people only contact HOA when they have problem or when they are the problem so their experience will be less than pleasant. HOA board are simply your neighbors. Better yet, you can get on the board yourself and have more control. I personally would rather not buy a none HOA home.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back