Reef nutrition

Stress test

I fed my corals the other night and turned off my pumps around 7:30 to do so. The following morning around 6:00 I burst out of bed remembering that I never turned them back on. I was sure I'd find a couple dead fish or something, but nothing seemed to be wrong. Everything appeared to be normal.

Today I woke up to this.
image.jpeg

His bigger brother seems to be hanging in there but only time will tell I suppose.
image.jpg

Normally I set a timer on my phone to remind me to turn everything back on. This time I forgot. Where's an apex when you need one?

Havent had this happen to me but I always forget to turn the heater on at least one time when doing tank transfer for fish.

Temp will drop to 60 degrees. Fish do just fine as long as the temp change is not instant.

Sudden changes appear to be way more detrimental.

Haven't done this yet, but I have forgotten to turn off my RO/DI unit...woke up at 2:00AM with that "oh crap" feeling.

My biggest fear is that I'll forget to re-fill my ATO reservoir and end up with a salinity spike and a return pump sucking air.

Maybe I'll take this as a sign that I should actually figure out how to properly program feed modes onto my own apex...

+1 on RO/DI overflow worry and air in main pump! Yikes.
Used to worry when sea cucumbers and urchins all wanted to go in overflow when tank was new.
Latest stress/confession: I put jellyfish in a container for feeding in my classroom, then forgot and went home. I woke up at 2:00am and remembered, but couldn't get into school so just stayed stressed out until morning.

Left my heater on during big WC and cleaning. So they ran unsubmerged for a long while. Now i'm torn if I should keep on using them or throw them out. Seems to be working fine, but who knows if there are internal damage :(

@roostertech When I was cycling my tank for the first time I remember taking out my heater for some reason and left it on the floor next to the tank. The outlet was behind the tank so I didn't want to unplug it; so I turned the thermostat down to its lowest setting (which was well below the air temperature), but it still turned. I now have a nice burn mark in my carpet. I cleaned the melted carpet fibers off the heater and stuck it back in the tank but noticed moisture condensing on the inside of it so I got a new one.

Now my cyphastrea is looking to be in poor shape (losing all color) :( and my toadstools haven't extended their polyps since it happened. Is there a point when I don't have to worry about stuff dying from that mistake?
image.jpg

Now my cyphastrea is looking to be in poor shape (losing all color) :( and my toadstools haven't extended their polyps since it happened. Is there a point when I don't have to worry about stuff dying from that mistake?View attachment 4984

Theres not really a cut off however I imagine the stuff sensitive to temperature drops would die in the next few days. If it survives and thrives as usual a week after the event, I wouldnt connect anything in the future to that one time when the temp dropped.

Oh I forgot you dont have a sump. My heater is in my sump so if the return pump fails, the rest of my tanks are cold.

Anyways the heater will only provide localized heat and may not heat the rest of your tank depending on size and dimension.

If theres water movement the heat is distributed around your tank more efficiently than without flow.

Its like when youre heating water in a garbage bin. The overall temp increases faster if you have water flow distributing and mixing the heated water around.

Back