Reef nutrition

Neptune has a Big Announcement Today @ 4:30 PST

Yup not too bad, unfortunately I have an Aquacontroller 3, a reef keeper elite, and 3 reef keeper lites (don't ask) ... so anything more than $20 is too much for me :D

Depends on if any of the new features are a must have for you or not. Personally, I'm staying with the current system. If and when they release a module that only works with the new Apex and it is for something that I gotta have THEN I'll switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on if any of the new features are a must have for you or not. Personally, I'm staying with the current system. If and when they release a module that only works with the new Apex and it is for something that I gotta have THEN I'll switch.

Say... flow meter is new apex only?

Nope. Should be compatible with classic as well as COR

well, since it is not released yet, they can still change it. <insert random bs reason here>. Need faster cpu to keep up with data rate etc. May be that is why they hold off FMM to get new apex out the door first. ;p

So the question is should I upgrade from my Apex Jr to one of the full Apex classics that someone's only been using for a year or less.
I've not really looked too much into the Apex (or Jr) market so some of this comes tongue in cheek. But figure out what you want your controller to do for you, I know the Jr. is limited in two ways, first what the base unit can do, and second in that there is a limit to the number of modules that you can hook up (google tells me 5). So look at what modules exist for the Apex and figure out if any of those are things you might like, then see if that number is greater than 5 (I think the power bar counts as a module too so be careful on that end, and maybe even the display unit!). You might be find with the Jr. however if you foresee yourself doing quite a bit of extra stuff, then you might want to think about an upgrade. Just realize that the savings you might get from some desperate soul who must have the latest and greatest does translate to your ability to get top dollar for your Apex Jr if you so wanted to sell that.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the functions of the Apex go largely unused by most hobbyists, controllers might turn into basic light timers, with basic monitoring/controlling (temp/pH) and there's nothing wrong with that, in fact that is exactly the market share that they're aiming at with the Jr. module. If this is you, there probably is no reason in upgrading to a used unit unless they're going for dirt cheap prices IMO.

The new energy bar has outlets that are 7 amps. Is that normal? It seems awfully low. I would think the heaters in particular would have a fairly large draw.

I've not really looked too much into the Apex (or Jr) market so some of this comes tongue in cheek. But figure out what you want your controller to do for you, I know the Jr. is limited in two ways, first what the base unit can do, and second in that there is a limit to the number of modules that you can hook up (google tells me 5). So look at what modules exist for the Apex and figure out if any of those are things you might like, then see if that number is greater than 5 (I think the power bar counts as a module too so be careful on that end, and maybe even the display unit!). You might be find with the Jr. however if you foresee yourself doing quite a bit of extra stuff, then you might want to think about an upgrade. Just realize that the savings you might get from some desperate soul who must have the latest and greatest does translate to your ability to get top dollar for your Apex Jr if you so wanted to sell that.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the functions of the Apex go largely unused by most hobbyists, controllers might turn into basic light timers, with basic monitoring/controlling (temp/pH) and there's nothing wrong with that, in fact that is exactly the market share that they're aiming at with the Jr. module. If this is you, there probably is no reason in upgrading to a used unit unless they're going for dirt cheap prices IMO.

Thank you. Nicely spelled out.

The nice part is we don't have to worry if you have 3 BRS dossing pumps you can plug them into any outlet instead out only outlets 4 & 8 and then have to either have to buy another EB8 or EB4 for the extra dossing pump.

On the plus note it is the EB832 outlets are 2 more amps then outlets 1-3 and 5-7 on the EB8.

I just had another thought. The BRS 52 weeks video just did the reef keeper and next week is the apex. I wonder if they were given any heads up about this so they can incorporate this model or if they'll be using the last one.

Yeah I'm interested in seeing the Tunze controller spelled out more, although I do expect Tunze level of pricing. In looking around I noticed that Digital Aquatics released a similar controller over a year ago (Archon) seems some issues with it early on but hey more options = good. I know Profilux is a high end controller, however I haven't been paying attention to it so not sure where their capabilities are compared to something like the Apex.

I just had another thought. The BRS 52 weeks video just did the reef keeper and next week is the apex. I wonder if they were given any heads up about this so they can incorporate this model or if they'll be using the last one.
Well I noticed on their site they do have a pre-order buy for the newer Apex, so wouldn't surprise me if they didn't try to pimp some advertisement their way, although I don't know how much of the series is shot well in advanced and simply a matter of editing later.

Well I noticed on their site they do have a pre-order buy for the newer Apex, so wouldn't surprise me if they didn't try to pimp some advertisement their way, although I don't know how much of the series is shot well in advanced and simply a matter of editing later.
I thought that was a possibility too but he's made mention to being out of town or on vacation and skipping weeks. This makes me think that they don't do it very far in advance.

Well haven't had a chance to watch it but if the thumbnail tells me anything for Week45 in the BRS video series they're doing the new one (maybe the old as well)

Back