Reef nutrition

Setosa Placement

MolaMola

Supporting Member
So I got an orange setosa from Dick F (I think @F6553066) at the BAR frag swap last spring. I couldn't figure out why it is an acro when it looked like a plating montipora... until now! It is growing cool little branches and is richly orange! Anyway, I never mounted it properly because I wanted to see how it would grow. It's time to get it settled in and I'm going away for 5 days and don't want it to be knocked down for the duration. Do I stick it down like a vertical fan, with one of the thin edges against the rock? Or horizontally like a monti and let it grow upright from the plate?

I researched mine when I placed it and the consensus seemed to be high and in good flow. The more light the better. So that's what I did -- and then it died.

Technically anywhere that you can find space for it. Pretty easy to grow sps that doesn't have a narrow range of requirements as far as light or flow is concerned.

Sometimes coral just die.

Many other factors could be the cause. Hard to say but sometimes corals do just die.

My 2 recent casualties

bef1f41422e939c1c128ae8407f309a9.jpg

A Tyree Blue Matrix and a upscales microlades. :(

But sometimes they perk right up!

0fcc6ef7fdd514e0022ac50a36fd9d98.jpg

Lokani from Nav's tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what killed Bruce's then.

User error -- not the corals fault. My nitrates when spiraling out of control. It took me over a month to get them back down. At the height of it I lost the few SPS pieces I had. Frankly, the tank just isn't old enough for SPS and I've still got a lot to learn. I'll start again with sps next year. As of now the rest is doing well and I'm beginning to see good growth.

I had sps in my new tank within 2 months with only one loss. I dont think you need to wait til next year. I have one very easy sps you can try to see if your tank can support it. Let me know when your ready Bruce

Yeah, I'm not sure what the logic is behind waiting for the tank to mature a year before adding sps. I've heard others say the same thing. I wonder if it's more about the maturing of the person taking care of it. To make sure they have experience with stabilizing levels.

I have sps in my current tank within 2 weeks of getting it wet. Granted the corals came from my old tank that was almost a year old. But I did add frags right after and they are doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm not sure what the logic is behind waiting for the tank to mature a year before adding sps. I've heard others say the same thing. I wonder if it's more about the maturing of the person taking care of it. To make sure they have experience with stabilizing levels.

That's exactly what it is! That's why I admitted user error. Also most new reefers don't start off with a lot of the equipment that "helps" keep things stable. At least in my case I added things like an ATO, dosers, etc as I went and realized things were fluctuating too much. I also learned a lot more about lighting -- not just which to use, but how best to use them. And I, and I think most new reefers, tend to put too much in too quickly. I wanted one of everything to start and it's hard to keep things stable that way. Or it could be I just suck with SPS.

When people throw around things like I put SPS after two months I would ask what do you consider SPS. It is really best to wait at least 3 months before adding the easy stuff like montipora, pocillipora, seriatopa. If you want to go earlier tubinaria is pretty bullet proof. I would not add any acropora for at least 8 months to a year.

Iirc, I had Cali tort, Miyagi tort, red planet, pink mille, red hyacinthus, monti cap. Nothing overly sensitive.

I would challenge that the BEST time to add sps (if it is going to be a sps heavy tank) is right after its cycled! Y? ( Assuming a 90% water change was done and nitrates are below 5ppm and phosphates are below 0.4ppm and no fish added) Because everything is perfect! Low nitrates/low phosphates, fresh water, clean rocks! If everything else is in check (lights/flow/temp) and conditions are maintained, it should do very well!

I believe the long wait is aimed at people new to the hobby. For someone experienced who knows what are the necessary conditions and how to maintain them consistently, I think sps can be added much much earlier!

Once the big tank is setup, I am going to do an experiment. I will start a tank from scratch. SPS only, no sump, no fish. In-tank skimmer, heater, flow, lights. Maybe a reactor for GFO. As minimalist as possible and see if my idea will succeed.

Iirc, I had Cali tort, Miyagi tort, red planet, pink mille, red hyacinthus, monti cap. Nothing overly sensitive.

I would challenge that the BEST time to add sps (if it is going to be a sps heavy tank) is right after its cycled! Y? ( Assuming a 90% water change was done and nitrates are below 5ppm and phosphates are below 0.4ppm and no fish added) Because everything is perfect! Low nitrates/low phosphates, fresh water, clean rocks! If everything else is in check (lights/flow/temp) and conditions are maintained, it should do very well!

I believe the long wait is aimed at people new to the hobby. For someone experienced who knows what are the necessary conditions and how to maintain them consistently, I think sps can be added much much earlier!

Once the big tank is setup, I am going to do an experiment. I will start a tank from scratch. SPS only, no sump, no fish. In-tank skimmer, heater, flow, lights. Maybe a reactor for GFO. As minimalist as possible and see if my idea will succeed.

Sounds like a good test.

Back