High Tide Aquatics

Someone go grab this!

Isn't this a Red Sea max? If so then there is a rear chamber for filtration. I don't remember how the rim fits over that. But removing the rim on a tank is always risky. If the glass is not thick enough it will break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point in going rimless if there's a built in lighting hood right over it? Sort of negates the visual effect of going rimless. Or I guess you're planning on getting rid of the light as well. As others have mentioned it's not designed to be rimless. Glass is thinner and you're removing structural support. To me that's too much risk, and I wouldn't want that tank in my home.

Moving should be no problem if you clear out all the water and rock beforehand and have enough help. The stand comes apart pretty easy, like Ikea furniture if you need to break it down to make things fit.

Aquarium manufacturers do not put in extra glass because they have extra laying around, they do it because it's needed for safety because they minimize their costs elsewhere (the sides), by removing the rim of a tank you lower the safety factor of it, and most all manufacturers have a set minimum safety factor that they typically use because it ends up being cheaper for them, and that safety factor is usually no where close to what custom builders will use. So be weary about making it rimless.

Ultimately it is your tank and your floor.

But to give you another data point, Red Sea makes a Max E tank which is an LED instead of T5 version of the tank. It IS rimless BUT uses 12mm glass.

Ultimately it is your tank and your floor.

But to give you another data point, Red Sea makes a Max E tank which is an LED instead of T5 version of the tank. It IS rimless BUT uses 12mm glass.

Totally get what your saying. I'm researching this topic. I noticed the IM nuvo 60 is 10mm also just like this even though the comparison is apples to oranges. I'm going to see what the glass thickness needs to be for a 60 gallon. Going to research more and maybe bite the bullet

I see what your saying. Last thing I need is 60gals of water going down 3 floors. I will further research also contacted someone running rimless
1273f0e748fc46f781fd73128bc13234.jpg

If you want rimless, just get a rimless tank. My primary reason would be that the RSM was made to be an enclosed AIO. I'd suggest Elos, but I'm slightly biased :)

If you want rimless, just get a rimless tank. My primary reason would be that the RSM was made to be an enclosed AIO. I'd suggest Elos, but I'm slightly biased :)
It was designed as enclosed but I would have to remove the top anyways to get some leds since I don't want to run t5s

Memo to anyone who cuts any plastic support regardless of how thin or unimportant it may seem. A long time ago I had a 55 gallon bow front tank and cut the plastic strip that went across ( it blocked my MH light ) and when I did I watched the whole tank just shift. I took that tank down almost immediately

The top plastic trim isn't there for structural support but rather to hold the light. Not sure if the light works as it only has 1 bulb in it

Does this mean you successfully got it? It came with a bunch of useful stuff!

I would consider doing a diy led retrofit. I even saw some threads with putting led fixtures into the lid. Seemed like there was plenty of room for that.

Back