got ethical husbandry?

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

I still get occasional short power interruption in my area due to construction so I'm thinking about putting a UPS to compensate. But there aren't much room in the sump so I'm pondering about making a tiny shelf behind the stand for it. Putting it next to stand is not an option (kids will push all the buttons). The unit itself is about 4" across. Thought?

The main problem with having it in the back is that once the tank is full it'll be hard to access it. With a 4 inch wide UPS, you'll probably need the stand to be further from the back wall. Knowing your big space there, I think a better idea would be to setup a childproof system on the side. There are storage stools and benches that look like furniture (and your kids can look into the tank on it) that people use to cosmetically hold ATO and water containers for water changes via dosing pumps. You could easily find one to fit your UPS and lock it down so you have access to it, keep your kids away from it and don't have to put it in an inaccessible location behind your tank.

The main problem with having it in the back is that once the tank is full it'll be hard to access it. With a 4 inch wide UPS, you'll probably need the stand to be further from the back wall. Knowing your big space there, I think a better idea would be to setup a childproof system on the side. There are storage stools and benches that look like furniture (and your kids can look into the tank on it) that people use to cosmetically hold ATO and water containers for water changes via dosing pumps. You could easily find one to fit your UPS and lock it down so you have access to it, keep your kids away from it and don't have to put it in an inaccessible location behind your tank.

I considered the side cabinet solution. The downside of that is now my little one have a platform to reach the top of the tank. Right now, he would occasionally drag his high chair over next to the island to climb on the countertop and play with my freshwater tank when we are not looking. My older one already grew out of the crazy phase so I can only hope that my little one will soon too. Also most storage stool are not lockable. I'll keep an eye out for something that can be easily modified.

Edit:
Something like this could work I suppose
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79047797/#/S99046952
besta-shelf-unit-with-door__0353011_PE537149_S4.JPG

Last edited:
You could try to vertically mount a 1U rackmount UPS unit that is 1.75" tall (wide) depending on how much power and how many plugs you need if you want to save a little space.

I have one of these running in my house for all the internet, networking and server equipment that I like.
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/smart-app-lcd/or700lcdrm1u.

Also, one problem with UPSes is they don't recommend you use a surge protector before or after the unit. Connecting before can cause the unit to go to battery unnecessarily if other devices on the surge protector are drawing too much power and connecting after is bad because it messes up the unit's ability to calculate load and the actual power remaining in battery. Not sure how an Apex with an EB8 would behave.

You could try to vertically mount a 1U rackmount UPS unit that is 1.75" tall (wide) depending on how much power and how many plugs you need if you want to save a little space.

I have one of these running in my house for all the internet, networking and server equipment that I like.
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/smart-app-lcd/or700lcdrm1u.

Also, one problem with UPSes is they don't recommend you use a surge protector before or after the unit. Connecting before can cause the unit to go to battery unnecessarily if other devices on the surge protector are drawing too much power and connecting after is bad because it messes up the unit's ability to calculate load and the actual power remaining in battery. Not sure how an Apex with an EB8 would behave.

That 1U unit is interesting but the capacity is a tad smaller than I would like without expansion possibility.

As for sequencing the device, nothing will go before the UPS (except for Apex DC power to detect power loss). It will be on a dedicated circuit. I'm not too concerned about calculating remaining time but rather the max load. Momentarily right after power outage, before Apex detect power loss and cut off non-essential equipments, the entire system would be running on the UPS, max rated at 865w. I might end up connecting the heater and light outside of UPS for this.

That 1U unit is interesting but the capacity is a tad smaller than I would like without expansion possibility.

As for sequencing the device, nothing will go before the UPS (except for Apex DC power to detect power loss). It will be on a dedicated circuit. I'm not too concerned about calculating remaining time but rather the max load. Momentarily right after power outage, before Apex detect power loss and cut off non-essential equipments, the entire system would be running on the UPS, max rated at 865w. I might end up connecting the heater and light outside of UPS for this.

They have bigger ones. 1500W I think.

I think that Ikea unit looks real sleek and nice. Should be able to lock that up pretty easily. Get it in white! Should be a close match.

Haha, I thought it would be good to have the kids be able to look into the tank on it. Guess I don't have my own yet.

I think that Ikea unit looks real sleek and nice. Should be able to lock that up pretty easily. Get it in white! Should be a close match.

Haha, I thought it would be good to have the kids be able to look into the tank on it. Guess I don't have my own yet.

The 4 years old can sorta appreciate the fish from far away. The 2 years old only want to slap the glass and stick his hand into the tank to play with water.

Really? I just looked through it another couple times and couldn't find it. I shouldn't be thinking about a new tank vhuang. I just got mine!

If the MAX 650 is any indicator, the tank would still be around 60", just a tad taller and wider now. I don't want the tank to stick out that much from the wall and deeper tank only make maintenance harder imo. Deep tank = light variation = better mixed reef, but still.

If the MAX 650 is any indicator, the tank would still be around 60", just a tad taller and wider now. I don't want the tank to stick out that much from the wall and deeper tank only make maintenance harder imo. Deep tank = light variation = better mixed reef, but still. I'm still sticking to the 525XL. @Gablami , if you want to upgrade to the 625, I give your tank a good home ;p

Finally got shipping update on the tank. Currently scheduled to be delivered on the 27th. I only ordered one Hydra 26 HD so far as I think the newer version is just around the corner.

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 3.50.03 PM.png

Back