Jestersix

Need Input from all members for 2017

I've done a wholesaler tour in LA once and as long as we kept our mouths shut it was shop til you drop. We brought home boxes ( and I mean ton of boxes home )

I've done a wholesaler tour in LA once and as long as we kept our mouths shut it was shop til you drop. We brought home boxes ( and I mean ton of boxes home )
That would be awesome if we could pull off the same thing. So for places like this, do they sell livestock? On Pan Ocean Aquarium's website it only shows dry goods?

If it was 6 a year, I would do 2 swaps, 1 speaker, 2 hands on workshop/demos, and one end of year potluck with Rich Ross :D You can fit in tank/store tours on "off" months. This club seems to be more about what you do in between meetings and less about the meetings themselves, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I would like to say it's a more community type of club but then again there's a lot of bias on that view simply because of the forums.

Swaps - Obvious enough, member swap, and all club swap,
Speaker - Someone who has something interesting to say about the hobby in general, doesn't need to be anything in particular, but they tend to cost money which I'm not sure what the finances hold for
Workshops - Watching a few of the members show off their handyman skills shows that we have a range of builder talent, but we've also had workshops on making fish food, and it doesn't have to just end at building stuff, it could be member given talks about any range of things from various types of lighting for the aquarium to various sump designs, I mean I would absolutely give a talk (i'm a teacher so comfortable with public speaking) and it doesn't have to be 1 member talking either, it could be a tag-team affair with multiple aspects. Basically these are the types of meetings I like the most because they give a lot of food for thought as far as ideas that maybe I haven't thought of.
End of year potluck- Again it's about community, if not Rich Ross, maybe someone or something else, a 3rd workshop? End of year potluck plus make your own fish food? :D

We have tried this before. Seems like people make a lot of effort To haul all their old crap somewhere, then they don't really sell much. I like the idea but we need to find a way To make it work better.

Maybe we start a thread where everyone posts stuff they want to get rid of - with pics Through the thread or PM's, buyers/recipients and sellers/donators make arrangements and all meet up at the same time and place? We could all still bring extra crap along, but at least it wouldn't be a surprise if we have to take it back home with us.

The "Make your own fish food" one was a lot of fun.
Although really messy. :)
Dry ice is probably the answer there.

Are there speakers that will present remotely?
Or that have a video/DVD of an old presentation and may be available for Q/A afterwards?
Not as good, but could be cheaper.

A "special" group-buy could be pretty interesting.
Members (including me) have done small group buys, but something organized by the club might be fun.
Key would be if we can get something special not normally offered.
If it is just to save a bit of shipping, not really worth it.

What about visiting near by tide pool at half moon bay. Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, in moss beach has a 3 mile long trail which goes through 5-6 tide pools. We can do a family event, and visit the tide pools in low tide time.

What about visiting near by tide pool at half moon bay. Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, in moss beach has a 3 mile long trail which goes through 5-6 tide pools. We can do a family event, and visit the tide pools in low tide time.

That would be interesting. But does it get crazy windy/cold out there?

Back