Kessil

Repairing Rockwork on Established Tank

OK, hoping the community can provide me with some advice on a rockwork issue.

About a year ago, I upgraded from a 110 to a 190. I had the transfer planned down to the finest detail. Until the unplanned occurred. The putty epoxy that I used to build the initial rockwork failed completely during the transfer from the 110 to the 190. I was left with all the individual pieces that I first started with.

Not knowing what to do, I placed the liverock into the 190 as individual pieces, using their natural shapes to lock them somewhat together. I have not yet had a rock-slide, but it is simply a matter of time.

So here is the question - what is the best or workable manner for gluing the rockwork together while still in the tank? Or alternately, taking the rockwork out of the tank for a really short period of time?

Id there a particular adhesive or method that you would recommend?

I look forward to the collective insights from the community.

With thanks,

Jim

Check out Nyos reef cement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed with the strength, but the cloud of material coming off the cement as it is used would make me nervous.

Didn't someone post recently about the aquascape stuff? Did you end up trying it?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquascape-fix-bonding-adhesive-fauna-marin.html

Edit: actually here is the thread. Positive reviews!

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/thre...unting-glue-that-brs-sells.19867/#post-285244

Last edited:
The Nyos isn't that bad as far as clouding is concerned. Skimmer goes nuts for an hour or so, but it works really well. Used some back in June earlier this year and the rocks are still held together without any signs of coming apart.

The Emaco product I use cures quick. I do tank remodels all the time. You can get consumer quantities from Marc at Marco Rocks

Jester, thanks for the lead. I see that Emaco makes several products, and there seems to be some additional add-ins available.

May I ask for a recommendation on which product you would recommend?

With thanks,

Jim

I use A660 all the time in tank remodels - in my mix I've not had any problems. You really cannot make repairs/builds while submerged. THe N427 will cure in about 20 minutes in a warm room - I pull the rock, build and return when set (as I said, around 20 minutes, can be longer depending on temp and wetness factors). My tank remodels number in the dozens, have not had any tank issues from the products - not to say it cannot happen...if you want to chat in detail, drop me a text, easiest way to have a conversation on something like this IMHO. My cell is 559-804-4342
Jester

Back