Reef nutrition

Coral/Fish QT tank

I am going to setup a 10 gallon qt tank for corals and fish that will run 24/7 and had some questions. My first question is regarding the biological filtration and cycling. I have some sponges that have been seeding in my refugium for the last 3 weeks so I am planning on using those in the HOB filter. I can’t imagine that this will be enough to handle the bio load of a few small fish for a while in quarantine though. What is everyone else doing in their or QT tanks? I understand if there is a need to medicate all biological filtration needs to be pulled as it will be rendered useless after medicated. Should there not be a need to medicate I plan to keep a six line or something peaceful in the tank to keep the bio load going.

My second question is regarding lighting on the QT tank for when I will have new corals in there. I currently run ectoch radions on my DT and was leaning towards led’s for easier transition into the DT. At the same point don’t want anything high end just for a qt tank. There were two options I was looking at one of them being a T5 and the other led.

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 18 to 24-Inch

Or

36013 Mini Aqualight T5 Light Fixture

I would treat permanent QT as purely an observation tank. Fish will only be put in there AFTER TTM/Formalin/Parazipro.

I ran a 10g reef with only a HOB for a while. I did have about 10lbs of rock in it and that is the main bio filter. If the tank is going to be an observation tank that will work. If you intend to medicate then that will not work.

Those lights should be ok for softy/LPS. Short term sps (they will probably brown out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would treat permanent QT as purely an observation tank. Fish will only be put in there AFTER TTM/Formalin/Parazipro.

I ran a 10g reef with only a HOB for a while. I did have about 10lbs of rock in it and that is the main bio filter. If the tank is going to be an observation tank that will work. If you intend to medicate then that will not work.

Those lights should be ok for softy/LPS. Short term sps (they will probably brown out).

Makes complete sense thanks! Then I keep this qt tank for observation only adding live rock and if I need to medicate use another tank. I have enough stuff laying around anyways and 10 gallon tanks are cheap too if I need to medicate in a separate tank. Regarding the lighting is there any better options you know of or recommend?

If you need to medicate, it's too late. You might as well medicate in that tank and (depending on the medication) see what you have to do with the live rock.

I would look at a used AI Prime

If you need to medicate, it's too late. You might as well medicate in that tank and (depending on the medication) see what you have to do with the live rock.

I would look at a used AI Prime

Okay gotcha. Thank you for the info!

I am going to setup a 10 gallon qt tank for corals and fish that will run 24/7 and had some questions. My first question is regarding the biological filtration and cycling. I have some sponges that have been seeding in my refugium for the last 3 weeks so I am planning on using those in the HOB filter. I can’t imagine that this will be enough to handle the bio load of a few small fish for a while in quarantine though. What is everyone else doing in their or QT tanks? I understand if there is a need to medicate all biological filtration needs to be pulled as it will be rendered useless after medicated. Should there not be a need to medicate I plan to keep a six line or something peaceful in the tank to keep the bio load going.

I have great success with these sponge filters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XIN78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soak in your sump for a few days, transfer it and some DT water to the QT, and you have a very fast cycle. At $6, I consider them a disposable if I need to treat the QT.

I have great success with these sponge filters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XIN78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soak in your sump for a few days, transfer it and some DT water to the QT, and you have a very fast cycle. At $6, I consider them a disposable if I need to treat the QT.

I have seen most people do use those with success. The thing is if I want to qt corals too will it be sufficient enough or will I need something more established if that makes sense? If I don't need something running 24/7 then I would want it to work for both avenues.

I have seen most people do use those with success. The thing is if I want to qt corals too will it be sufficient enough or will I need something more established if that makes sense? If I don't need something running 24/7 then I would want it to work for both avenues.

I QT corals in a 10g, and fish in a 10g, both using a standard HOB freshwater filter (to create flow and carbon/GFO filter) and the sponge filter for aeration flow and bacterial filtration.

I keep an ammonia meter on both systems and have never seen any ammonia detected. 50% water changes weekly.

Hope this helps,

Jim

I QT corals in a 10g, and fish in a 10g, both using a standard HOB freshwater filter (to create flow and carbon/GFO filter) and the sponge filter for aeration flow and bacterial filtration.

I keep an ammonia meter on both systems and have never seen any ammonia detected. 50% water changes weekly.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Yes that does help. Thank you!!

What about using one of the new kessil a80's? I don't know how much they go for or how they'd compare in intensity to the prime though. Just a thought.

What about using one of the new kessil a80's? I don't know how much they go for or how they'd compare in intensity to the prime though. Just a thought.

I looked that light up and it's nice but it's a bit on the pricier side. Seems like $129 plus the gooseneck mount is another $30. I called marine depot yesterday and they reccomended aquamaxx Nemolights and it's $89.

That is an 18w light. Prime is 55w. You can find used Primes for about $150 with mounting arms.

Primes are going to be closest to your XRs on the DT. Ecotech owns Aqua Illumination.

That is an 18w light. Prime is 55w. You can find used Primes for about $150 with mounting arms.

Primes are going to be closest to your XRs on the DT. Ecotech owns Aqua Illumination.

That's more than what I'm wanting to spend... I think I might go with this one. It's inexpensive and will be more than enough light for the 10 gallon. I can get it for around $75

Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24W, 24 inch

That is more affordable, and rightly so, it's a T5. I thought you were looking for an LED.

I was driving myself crazy on looking at lighting theffects past 2 days. Then I figured the tank will only be running for short periods of time during the qt process. Might as well go with affordablilly versus having a nicer led light collecting dust.

Just wanted thank everyone for their input. Here is the QT tank I setup minus the sponge as its in my refugium seeding. Painted 3 sides and the bottom of the tank black. The small powerhead (rio 180) will move into my QT tank as that is next on the list. Thanks again!

Attachments

• rsz_20161223_151423.jpg
    rsz_20161223_151423.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 276

My second question is regarding lighting on the QT tank for when I will have new corals in there. I currently run ectoch radions on my DT and was leaning towards led’s for easier transition into the DT. At the same point don’t want anything high end just for a qt tank. There were two options I was looking at one of them being a T5 and the other led.

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 18 to 24-Inch

Or

36013 Mini Aqualight T5 Light Fixture
Six lines are not peaceful, especially in a 10 gal!

Back