Kessil

Trace Dosing

OK, I realize that this may bring out some rather biased opinions and experiences, but I'd really appreciate the experience from the group.

Do you dose trace elements?
If so, what do you use?
Are you seeing results?

I have a mainly LPS / polyp tank (no SPS) and am not happy with growth.

Already automatically dosing AK and Ca, and dosing Mg when test indicates declining levels.

Dosing amino acids (Fuel) a got from Robert at Neptune.

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Jim

I'm dosing Red Sea Coral Colors, Acropower, Fauna Marin Min S and Min D.

The last 3 were for feeding corals.

The coral color dosing did bring out a little more color but it's hard to really say if it is or the color is coming from a higher nutrient level.

I do use the Red Sea Color test kit to adjust the dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered Fuel as well on the advice of the owner of one of the nicest (and longest established tank) I've ever seen. He doesn't feed anything, but swears by Fuel. I'll let you know if I see any differences.

I use the zeovit coral system but it's designed primarily for sps. I have noticed overall better color and growth from all the coral though. It was about that same time that I started dosing alk, ca, and mg though too so that may have played a roll in things too.

I'm same as Flagg. Zeovit. Regular weekly water changes and coral vitalizer, pohls Xtra, sponge power, and amino acid LPS. Figure there's got to be some trace elements in all of that.

I have not done a water change in a year now. (this will change once I get my auto water change setup)

I dose (2) drops of Iodine twice a week
I dose 5mL a day of Acropower.

My Calcium reactor doses the rest of my trace elements.

I have not done a water change in a year now. (this will change once I get my auto water change setup)

I dose (2) drops of Iodine twice a week
I dose 5mL a day of Acropower.

My Calcium reactor doses the rest of my trace elements.

o.0 did I read that right? No WC in a year?

This he does, and I will do auto water changes at some point hopefully next year, but until then don't break what is working so well....:)

Lol, my last wc was 2g in early Nov. And that was just because I had 2g of nsw in a bucket left over from setting up a holding tank.

i went over 5 years maybe more without a water change in my old 100gal. softie reef. No harm done, corals and fish still looked healthy and good.

The reasoning I've read is that the biggest reasons to do water changes are for nutrient export and to replenish the elements that the corals use up. If your skimmer, cheato, and biological filtration are taking care of nutrient export and CaRx is taking care of the elements then the reasons to do water changes are greatly diminished.

OK, I realize that this may bring out some rather biased opinions and experiences, but I'd really appreciate the experience from the group.

Do you dose trace elements?
If so, what do you use?
Are you seeing results?

I have a mainly LPS / polyp tank (no SPS) and am not happy with growth.

Already automatically dosing AK and Ca, and dosing Mg when test indicates declining levels.

Dosing amino acids (Fuel) a got from Robert at Neptune.

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Jim

Can you post a link to the Fuel product you use? Or a picture?

I squirt some Replenish trace elements into my tank when I remember to, I guess just the way you'd take a vitamin every now and then "just to be sure." I think it helps prevent the occasional macro-algae die-off. But my corals only react to Fuel - it's just annoying to keep it in your fridge. Well, corals also look better after a major water change, but maybe it's what I'm taking out. I always considered that trace amounts of bad stuff might build up over time and that's why you need water changes even if your measurable water quality is perfect?

Back