Reef nutrition

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

well as much as I'd love to help out, I think my wife my cringe at me leaving them and spending the day with someone else setting up a fish tank. How much does the tank itself weigh? can't be more than a couple hundred pounds right?

well as much as I'd love to help out, I think my wife my cringe at me leaving them and spending the day with someone else setting up a fish tank. How much does the tank itself weigh? can't be more than a couple hundred pounds right?

Tank is about 300 lbs ish. Bring the family! we can do a mini social event. My house is well equipped to handle kid. I'll get us some lunch, we can hang out and unbox.

Thanks to @Vhuang168 and @Newjack for your help with the assembly. And @Flagg37 for the suction cups. You guys are awesome.

Next step. Electrical and Apex mounting

cbd69cf1f329318e96d7331202ccf503.jpg
52b94fe520d2378a4c57551a17988029.jpg
d08d5cd2219be338dcf06c7424897579.jpg

If you are looking for a NICE complete "plug & play" reef tank. The Red Sea tanks are the way to go. Red Sea thought of everything when their designers put these packages together. Dollar for dollar, you can't go wrong, & definetly won't be disappointed.
IMO., This is a very nice looking set up from top to bottom. In fact, I'm a little jeolous. :rolleyes:

Between relatives visiting and kid stuffs I weren't able to make as much progress over the holiday break. But here are some baby steps along the way

Mounted my first hydra 26HD with HMS mount. Feeder and WAV are also in place

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.20.29 AM.png

Added cable conduit in the sump to hide the cords. I want to put it as low as possible to leave room for manifold and reactors later on. But on the flip side salt spray could be problematic later.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.24.59 AM.png

I wanted to add a "control panel" made out of shelf board and put my apex on there. But after making the panel and mocking it in the sump it felt so cramped and it hard to do any work in there. So I left it out and mount apex to the side. Also left room for DC pump controller later on.

Still need to get shorter cords for apex -> EB8 and some clear clip to make wiring in the back neater.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.25.08 AM.png

UPS and Trigger 10g ATO container fit nicely in there.

I run Dedicated circuit -> USP -> GFCI -> Apex for stuff on the wet side.

Added Amazon Fire tablet for Apex Fusion display.

I might add some physical buttons using the break out box to trigger/cancel feed mode.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.25.14 AM.png

Mixing the first batch of salt. If all goes well tank could get wet this week

Last edited:
Nice! Any progress is good progress! I have the 5G Trigger ATO container and I had to widen the holes with a drill bit to get the Tunze ATO tubing/wire in easily without feeling like I was shaving off the sides of the tubing/wiring. Wonder if you'll have the same experience.

BTW, I still have your rasta zoa frag when you get that thing wet and you're ready to stock.

Nice! Any progress is good progress! I have the 5G Trigger ATO container and I had to widen the holes with a drill bit to get the Tunze ATO tubing/wire in easily without feeling like I was shaving off the sides of the tubing/wiring. Wonder if you'll have the same experience.

BTW, I still have your rasta zoa frag when you get that thing wet and you're ready to stock.

I don't have an ATO system yet (still holding out for Apex version). So I will be using the stock gravity ATO for a while. I'm just putting the container in there to make sure the space fit. May be I'll use an aqualifter to refill the 5g ato from the 10g ato for now.

Thanks for holding the rasta

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.48.21 AM.png

Partially filled. Rock structure by @jestersix. I still need to wash/insert the sand before full fill.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.48.54 AM.png

My ghetto mixing station.
20g RODI reservoir at the top, 44g mixing can at the bottom, both are connected to RODI with float switch.
20g container in the middle for my fresh water mix
1/2" vinyl tubes for pumping water to tank. 3 tubes (rodi, nsw, fw)

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.49.10 AM.png

QT/TTM station is almost ready to receive fish

Wow, huge progress!
Looking really good.
Bummed I was out of town for the tank moving fun.

Tank looks lonely with just one light though....

Are you using sand, or planning bare bottom?

I had not thought about using a cheap iPad/Fire for a display. Pretty slick idea.:cool:

Looking good! In the last pic with the QT/TTM station, is that a derimmed 10G on the left there?

Amazon Fire tablet looks good with Fusion on it. Did you get in on the deal for the tablet when it at the $40 price point?

Wow, huge progress!
Looking really good.
Bummed I was out of town for the tank moving fun.

Tank looks lonely with just one light though....

Are you using sand, or planning bare bottom?

I had not thought about using a cheap iPad/Fire for a display. Pretty slick idea.:cool:

Yeah, I'm delaying the other light purchase till AI release the new one.

I'm adding sand, just haven't got around to wash them yet.

Looking good! In the last pic with the QT/TTM station, is that a derimmed 10G on the left there?

Amazon Fire tablet looks good with Fusion on it. Did you get in on the deal for the tablet when it at the $40 price point?

The left most tank is my old fw rimless tank, the one that started it all
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069RV8WW

Yep I got the Fire tablet during the sale, but it is kinda sluggish. I might end up swapping my Nexus 7 in.

Back