Our mission

Rygh's 250 gallon - rev.2

Latest rebuild plan:
Keep my main tank pretty much as-is. Focus it more on softies that can out-compete Majanos.
So no tear down. Just ignore the Majanos.
Then make a nice new separate high-end-coral nano-ish tank!

So starting to look at new tanks.
Any suggestions in the 20-30G range, or thoughts on tanks below???

Mr. Aqua Exquisite low iron rimless 22 gallon 36x12x12
AquaMaxx Long Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium 22 Gallon 36x12x12

Latest rebuild plan:
Keep my main tank pretty much as-is. Focus it more on softies that can out-compete Majanos.
So no tear down. Just ignore the Majanos.
Then make a nice new separate high-end-coral nano-ish tank!

So starting to look at new tanks.
Any suggestions in the 20-30G range, or thoughts on tanks below???

Mr. Aqua Exquisite low iron rimless 22 gallon 36x12x12
AquaMaxx Long Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium 22 Gallon 36x12x12

I have a Mr. Aqua 22g for fw. It is a very nice tank but the 12" height feels very cramped.

I would recommend ADA 90P (36"x18"x18", ~50g) or any of the cheaper equivalent. The planted tank on my countertop is the same size from Aquatop

I have a Mr. Aqua 22g for fw. It is a very nice tank but the 12" height feels very cramped.

I would recommend ADA 90P (36"x18"x18", ~50g) or any of the cheaper equivalent. The planted tank on my countertop is the same size from Aquatop
Yes, 12" is a bit short. But means higher PAR.
It has to go on the wall, so 18" wide is a bit of a pain.
36L x 12W x 18H would be ideal.

Looks like I a few options in 36x12x18 range.

Glasscages.com and miraclesaquarium.com both have 36x12x18
Cheap at $100.
But thin glass and big braces. Petco style.

Customarquariums.com has a semi-custom one.
Nicer glass thickness at 3/8, can upgrade to 1/2.
And I can upgrade to low-iron.

Full custom.
I might let Neptunes do a quick quote. Seems they do custom tanks.
Anyone ever use them?
The nice thing is that they can do the overflow and all the holes to spec as well.

Find out what shipping is going to cost you before you simply go by the cost on a website amount. Guaranteed Glasscages and Miracles is going to cost you more than $100. Customaquariums is nice, and I'm looking at them for my tank, free shipping on orders $2k+ obviously your tank won't be $2k, but it is a nice option to get exactly what you want and a very reasonable price, they use some powder coated marine grade aluminum bracing system instead of plastic or glass(eurobracing).

That said, why not go Petco style? The Aqueon 30g tank is approximately the dimensions you want, and if you can wait out a $1/gallon sale even better.

Is it gonna get plumbed into your system or be stand alone?
Mostly standalone.
That way I can keep pests out and control water quality better.
The one connection will be the auto-water-exchange.
It will be modified to go Fresh Salt -> New small coral tank -> old tank -> drain
Which gives me about 100% water change per month.
While that sounds great, it does mean I need to be more careful with salt mix.

Find out what shipping is going to cost you before you simply go by the cost on a website amount. Guaranteed Glasscages and Miracles is going to cost you more than $100. Customaquariums is nice, and I'm looking at them for my tank, free shipping on orders $2k+ obviously your tank won't be $2k, but it is a nice option to get exactly what you want and a very reasonable price, they use some powder coated marine grade aluminum bracing system instead of plastic or glass(eurobracing).

That said, why not go Petco style? The Aqueon 30g tank is approximately the dimensions you want, and if you can wait out a $1/gallon sale even better.

Good point on shipping.
Although some of the smaller tanks are not bad.

A bit of a problem though:
I am having an issue with the "Wife Acceptance Factor"
:oops:
Ok, more than a bit of a problem.

Once I got into the details, she is not excited about another tank on the other wall of the family room.
And I do get her point. It would look rather weird.
So I think the original plan is shot.

The thought she had was to put it below the other tank. An intriguing idea.
(I do not have a sump underneath)
So it would go in the middle, where the doors are open.
I could put a 24" x 24" x 16" or so, that rolls out for access. Tricky, but fun.

fulltank.JPG

BTW, the sales is on now through 28 January.
Thanks for the heads up. I need a small tank to turn into a sump, and was dreading having to hack and saw at acrylic swiss cheese to make something work (and hopefully be leak free), now spend $25 on a 20L, throw in a few baffles, and bingo bango call it done.

Enough with the new tank talk nonsense...
:rolleyes:

I think I will just keep concentrating on improving my current tank.
With confusing plans, family arguments, and a serious lack of time, it makes no sense to add tanks or massively rebuild.
Fun to think about, but really going nowhere fast.

I don't know if you've looked into this already but I remember reading an article on Reef Builders about Biota captive breeding filefish (I think) that eat aptasia. They feed it to them in their tanks so they are raised eating them as their normal food. Just a thought.

I don't know if you've looked into this already but I remember reading an article on Reef Builders about Biota captive breeding filefish (I think) that eat aptasia. They feed it to them in their tanks so they are raised eating them as their normal food. Just a thought.

Yes, I had been debating getting either that or a Racoon Butterfly for a long time.
Although I had never heard of someone specifically breeding and training them. Good info!!

I already tried a Bicolor Angel with minimal success.
The problem - at some point, they will almost certainly go after other corals.

Since Boun wanted a good home for one, I am picking up that one this weekend hopefully, so will give it a try.
We shall see.

Back