Neptune Aquatics

Does anyone know what this is?

Well.. my zoas and other living things are now opening as they use too.. and that's is driving me crazy.

So this morning I was taking a look at the tank trying to see any worms or anything.. I saw these things:

20170119_104603.jpg

20170119_104221.jpg

20170119_104215.jpg

I was looking and many of my corals has this thing in it.

But I also have an Threadfin butterflyfish new to the tank.. I am not seeing any bitting marks on the corals.. have anyone ever had problem with this fish picking on the coral?

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Tough to say without knowing anything about your tank. Obviously butterfly is a suspect. You should setup a video of tank and observe him
I work from home and my tank is close to me.. so I spend some time looking at it during breaks and the butterfly peak on the rocks only... never seen it picking on the corals.

I live by the airport and haven't seen seen a plane crash, but they do... not to be a jerk, but you. It seeing it doesn't mean it's not Going on.
What else has changed recently? Do you test anything?
I work from home and my tank is close to me.. so I spend some time looking at it during breaks and the butterfly peak on the rocks only... never seen it picking on the corals.

I live by the airport and haven't seen seen a plane crash, but they do... not to be a jerk, but you. It seeing it doesn't mean it's not Going on.
What else has changed recently? Do you test anything?
I test weekly for PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, salinity (alkalinity is little high, but not crazy high - it's 10). Nothing has changed for a while.. I changed bulbs beginning of December, everything was normal until couple weeks ago. I turned off some of the lights since yesterday and decreased the amount of flow on them (changed the pumps placement around).

Got it... i haven't seen any bite marks or anything like it. So I'm kinda putting it aside.

While the butterfly may not be chowing down on corals, it is probably nibbling a bit.
And you would be unlikely to see a missing polyp or tentacle here and there.
But the coral knows, and would tend to curl up and not open.

Do you have a big sump, fuge, or QT?
You could move the fish for a while, and see what happens.
Threadfins are NICE, so while it is likely the culprit, I would check first.

While the butterfly may not be chowing down on corals, it is probably nibbling a bit.
And you would be unlikely to see a missing polyp or tentacle here and there.
But the coral knows, and would tend to curl up and not open.

Do you have a big sump, fuge, or QT?
You could move the fish for a while, and see what happens.
Threadfins are NICE, so while it is likely the culprit, I would check first.
I have a small tank that I use for quarantine, I will try to put it aside for a while.
Thanks everyone.

Maybe some sort of sponge? that would be my guess by the look on the picture. Mike's suggestion is really good, if things changed when you added the new fish. May wanna keep your eyes exploring more the tank at dark. This is what you don't want to find in your tank

Last edited:
That's a 5g bucket.
My brother's tank had something weird going on; corals not opening, some disappearing... just no explanation after checking and checking.
One night he spotted something dark moving when the lights were out.
We wondered for how long that worm had been living in there, the thing was huge!!

That's a 5g bucket.
My brother's tank had something weird going on; corals not opening, some disappearing... just no explanation after checking and checking.
One night he spotted something dark moving when the lights were out.
We wondered for how long that worm had been living in there, the thing was huge!!

o.0, how did you get it out

Back