Reef nutrition

Overflow help

Just upgraded to a 76 gallon from a biocube, it's been a long goal of mine and wanted to do everything the more quality way. Can anyone point me to the right direction to get a tank drilled? A glass is half a inch thick and would have to be drilled in the back, the bottom is tempered. I live in the Bay Area, I'm willing to pay if needed or is someone wants to build it for me. Looking forward to be a very active supportive member along the way, I see a lot of helpful folks in this community thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I bought the tank used for a really good deal on cl.... I was leaning towards bean animal overflow if i can get it drilled, I picked bean animal due to reading a lot of great thing number 1 being the most quite the tank is sitting in my living room as of now

I am new to salt water, drilled my 120 gallon tank last year for a bean animal. Wont do yours myself but u are welcome to come take a look.

Bought a "ghost" overflow box new on ebay with customized dimensions, about 24" wide. Works great.

I agree u need to figure out overflow box strategy first driven by your flow requirement and looks, then determine sizes of the box, pipes and then the holes on glass. The 10x of tank volume as ideal flow rate includes thise wavemakers, not just from return pump.

I ended up doing 3x 1" holes on glass (2 are overflow) and 1" main drain plus two 1.5" pipes for bean animal in the external box.

If I had to redo it again, I'd drill two returns instead of one, so i can use two cheap jebao dc pumps with no worry of failure.

Btw, if space allows, drill from inside tank toward outside surface, because exit surface is aways less clean than entry surface and inside surface privides the seal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the imput, I have a half circle, would it be better to put the overflow in the center or off to the corner?

Thanks for the imput, I have a half circle, would it be better to put the overflow in the center or off to the corner?

I'd do the center. For bean animal your going to need at least 4 holes and they need to be spaced far enough apart to have the bulkheads not touching each other.

If u use external overflow like my "ghost" overflow box, u need only 2 glass holes (exclude returns) to flow water from tank to external overflow box. There will be 3 holes at bottom of external overflow box for bean animal setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86922a44bc53f89c7582e384998c1f46.jpg

138822e1ff97e2ceb4892f5c82d36ac8.jpg

Pic of my setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Drilled 3 holes in galss: 2 for overflowbox and 1 return. As said, wish did 4th for a second return pump.

Like the ghost overflow as it takes min space inside tank.

Haven't trident it but I'm pretty sure it will lol I got a really good deal in it and it's different

The tank will be your cheapest part of your reef journey. Never shave on tank, you will regret it. As for the curve it is different if you are willing to put up with cleaning effort.

Most definitely I picked up a maxspect razor for 30 bucks I think it puts out pretty good light, but all that can change once everything is inside lol, I'm willing to do the work to clean it... now if I can just get these holes drilled, I really like Julius Chens idea but drilling a 4 hope for 2 returns for better flow

Back