Cali Kid Corals

Ray's 125G Softie Tank

Can you please help me with nutrient or what salt to use ? I always test levels and check measurements but I know I'm not doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you please help me with nutrient or what salt to use ? I always test levels and check measurements but I know I'm not doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly have a very simple setup. I used to be into automating everything and always checking the levels of everything, but then work got really busy, so I moved into super simple mode. Mike (Coral Reefer) helps me maintain my tank, but I designed the tank and sump, setup everything initially, and do all of the dosing.

A lot of what I did was in the initial design, but here is how my tank works:
  • Basic Parameters
    • Salinity ~1.023 S.G.
    • pH ~8.3
    • Alk ~7-8 dKh
    • Ca ~380 ppm
    • Mg ~1200 ppm (Check only a few times per year)
    • Nitrate 0 ppm
    • Phosphate ~0.25 ppm (API Test, so not very accurate, but it is on the low end of the color gradient)
  • I designed the tank from scratch myself with some key points that help make things a little easier:
    • ~150G total water volume -- the larger volume makes things a little easier (to a point I guess)
    • A very quiet overflow (I just like quiet, but I think the fish like quiet too)
    • A large sump, and a very large refugium. I think the refugium is the key to 0 nitrates and lower phosphates. There is a high-flow section that runs through the Chaeto and a low-flow section for the skimmer that provides more contact time for the skimmer
    • I have an relatively expensive and over-sized skimmer (ATB 840v2 rated for ~250G).
    • 1" or so Sandbed with ~2mm sand
  • I choose animals that do not require perfection.
    • The corals are mainly softies and overall don't have a high CaCO3 load.
    • The fish all eat flakes and frozen or life in the tank (for the Mandarin Dragonet).
    • I have a relatively light fish load for my setup which helps keep things under control
  • I overfeed, which is bad for tank chemistry, but I think fat fish are healthy fish and it helps curb bad behavior.
  • In terms of products, I don't use much:
    • Seachem Aquavitro Salinity Salt at about 1.023-1.025
      • This is what Mike uses. If I do my own water changes, I use E.S.V. B-Ionic Seawater System. It's very expensive but there is 0 residue and I can make a crystal clear batch in a few minutes
    • BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon
    • BRS Two-part Alkalinity, Calcium Chloride, and Magnesium
    • I don't dose anything else (No Trace Elements, No Iodine, nothing else, no Vodka or other Carbon)
      • I used to run Biopellets when I had the cuttlefish, but so far I have been fine without it
      • I don't usually run GFO
      • I don't use filter socks except to polish the water after the gravel vacuuming
  • In terms of maintenance, I don't do too much:
    • 30ml of BRS Alkalinity (Dissolved Soda Ash) and 30ml of Calcium Chloride on Sunday, Wed, and Friday
    • Empty the Skimmer once per week
    • 40G Water changes every 4-6 weeks with a gravel vacuum (Mike does that) (total water volume is probably 150G, so that's about 25%)
    • Change 1 cup of Carbon when I do the water change
    • Once every couple of months I pull out half of the Chaeto macro algae in the refugium (see pic)
    • Twice a year I slowly bump up the Magnesium over a couple of weeks to 1250ppm with many 30ml dosings of BRS Magnesium Sulfate Mix
That's it.

Here is a pic of the sump (the light on the left is for visibility only, the one on the right is on a timer and run opposite the tank lights) and all of the Chaeto I get every couple of months:

Sump.jpg

ChaetomorphaPic.jpeg

I had a 120g softie, winner take all, type of tank, and that thing just naturally flowed great together, those green hairy mushrooms had their place, monster elephant ear mushrooms in another, colt coral just acting like a massive tree off to the side. Reef safe fish? pfffbt who cares! dwarf angels of all types!

I had a 120g softie, winner take all, type of tank, and that thing just naturally flowed great together, those green hairy mushrooms had their place, monster elephant ear mushrooms in another, colt coral just acting like a massive tree off to the side. Reef safe fish? pfffbt who cares! dwarf angels of all types!
Mike can I pick your brain sometime?

Back