Jestersix

A new project.

So I'm kind of dealing with putting together a stand for a cube; issue is that the footprint of the cube is 36x36
Stand would not fit thru a door since would be >1.5" wider and the height has to be ~36".
Anyone has a pointer to some plans for a stand that can be "modular"?
Finish will be black but I'm pushing for a walnut finish, have espresso on hand just in case.

Thanks

There was an other company ( I think I saw it in a BRS video) that was using a metal stand and then attached the wooden sides. It was pretty cool because it looked like an all wood stand, but you could just pop off the sides, back , etc for very easy access.

There was an other company ( I think I saw it in a BRS video) that was using a metal stand and then attached the wooden sides. It was pretty cool because it looked like an all wood stand, but you could just pop off the sides, back , etc for very easy access.

Possibly the Vertex stand if I have the right video in mind. It's basically an 8020 stand that's skinned.

I've been contemplating a 8020 stand as well so it'll be interesting to see what you decide on.

I priced out 8020 when I was planning my tank and it came out pretty pricey. This was a quote direct from the company. I think most buy pieces off eBay and cut themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have the pieces in my cart from 8020. Just to give you a rough estimate, it's $350ish for a 42" L x 24" W x 40" H frame for the stand. That's with hidden connectors and no panels or other accessories.

Possibly the Vertex stand if I have the right video in mind. It's basically an 8020 stand that's skinned.

I've been contemplating a 8020 stand as well so it'll be interesting to see what you decide on.

Yes -- it was the Vertex. Nice stand.

In comparison, my 60/30/40 would have cost me $1960+ $275 shipping + tax!

Mine had corner braces and a center brace n a few back braces.

053f8ce97b822c2fe3007034c3107e64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one that I priced out has 2 top braces, one bottom and nothing in the mids since it would only be used to support the 30" length tank. I could also add braces for something like $15 per each piece cut to length.

They're pretty strong since they can differ in diameter to support larger tanks. The vertex stand in the video was used for a 120G tank.

In the case of your tank, here's a stand holding up a 200G tank.
200g8020.jpg

Unless there are some shear supports on the back, that tank looks like it will topple instantly in an earthquake.

Fun numbers:
A 120G tank weighs over 1,000 pounds.
In an earthquake, a lot of that turns into a sideways force.
I looked it up, and it seems a quake with ground motion of 0.2g is the point where you have issues with the house more than the tank.
That is around 200 pounds of side force.

So pretty much: You should be able to lean into it, push as hard as you possibly can, and not have the stand budge.

Seems Aluminum is a nice material to work with but that was scratched off the plan; reefing budget reasons.
Came across this build on RC, nice if you have buddies like that.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2621859

Wish my garage had a workbench like that. So envious.
Beautiful construction.
But still - questionable engineering.
Nothing "wrong" with it. Just as an engineer, one of those pet peeves. Probably similar to an English teacher reading tweets.

Those bulkheads into the stand - I thought about doing that awhile back and tracking the thread to see how well it works.

Back