Reef nutrition

Rygh's 250 gallon - rev.2

I was reading some of the posts on how air to the skimmer affects PH. And I have had low-ish PH issues.
Instead of fancy CO2 scrubbers, or big air tubes outside, I tried something VERY simple.
I put a pipe on the skimmer a couple of feet long, just up and out of the fuge area.
So still in the garage, but pulling air a little ways away, instead of right next to the water in the sump.

Very clear difference. Not huge, about 0.1, but clear, and just from moving the intake a foot or so.
Likely that it was recirculating air, being so confined, and CO2 became a bit saturated.
ph3.jpg

Matted Filefish update:

So thanks to Boun, I have a Matted Filefish now.
After a quick QT, it seems to be happy in the fuge.
Because of coral risk, I am testing it there first.

So the good news: It quickly exterminated all the Aptasia.
I only had 5-6 in the fuge though. But they went fast.

But so far, no noticeable impact on the Majanos.

No imapact on Zoas either.
A few green toadstool leather corals are closed up though, so I am a bit suspicious there.

Very timid fish.

I am also feeding with Mysis, and tried pellets. Although no sign of it really eating.
But hard to tell. Hides in the back.

Most likely the filefish went after your toadstool. It went after my duncan. remove the toadstool to the sump if you can. I slowly move corals that it picks on and eventually it eats the aptasia :) Maybe it will go after the majano once all of the corals it tried went to the sump :) It works for me

Most likely the filefish went after your toadstool. It went after my duncan. remove the toadstool to the sump if you can. I slowly move corals that it picks on and eventually it eats the aptasia :) Maybe it will go after the majano once all of the corals it tried went to the sump :) It works for me
Yea, tend to agree.
(In this case, He is in the sump/fuge, so I will move toadstool frags to the main tank)

I made a simple box around my frag rack in my Fuge.
That is keeping the filefish from chomping on things.
Ugly and clunky, but hey, it is a fuge, not a display tank.
It also means I can completely put non-reef-safe fish in there. Hmm....

IMG_1563.JPG

Matted Filefish is eating Majanos!!!
:):):)

Now that it cannot get to the toadstools, it has decided to chow down on the Majanos.
In fact, in a few days, probably 20+ are gone.
It is not touching the Zoas either.

Time to start shuffling rocks from the display tank into the fuge.
Clear majanos off those, plus see what else it might eat.

Then the BIG decision: Do I put the fish in the display tank???

I will trade not having toadstools and perhaps a few other things if it means no Majanos.
On the other hand, there are so many softies, it might simply graze randomly, and never get around to wiping Majanos out.
Hmmm...

Back