Neptune Aquatics

Siporax - anyone use it?

https://www.amazon.com/Siporax-Aquarium-Filter-Media-Size/dp/B000A215HK

I'm thinking about filing a section of my sump with it. Something like this

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 6.19.38 PM.png

I used something like that in the old freshwater days in the biofilter.
What is the intent?
For detritus, might work, but the simple plastic grid alone seems almost as effective, and a lot easier to clean.

Intent: for extra biological filtration for scape that is low on rock (like mine). I have seen people fill entire 20g with this stuff and swear by it for nitrate reduction. It suppose to have even more surface area than marinepure block.

Seems to work. I'm still pulling extremely low nitrates even with the amount that I feed. I'm running 2L of it in the sump. 1L is in an eggcrate compartment and the other 1L is split between a couple of the bags that they came in. I just rinse it out on a monthly basis in the old water.

I use 1" thick marine pure blocks in the lowest flow area I can find. I'd go thicker if I could, but I don't have much space in my sump. They also make cubes and spheres.

I would imagine the 8x8x4" block would be the best at potential nitrate removal since there's likey be more chance of anoxic areas in the thick 4" block.

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

I ran out of space, so couldn't do the 8x8x4 block. In addition to the 2L of siporax in the sump, there's also a 8x8x1 block that the skimmer sits on to elevate it to the correct height. There are also some marinepure spheres that I've started using to mount some of the corals on. Saw someone else do it in another tank so figured why the heck not. :p

I could fit 8x8x4 easy. I'll look into it. So you guys using these more as real low flow denitraters, and not so much ammonia and nitrite processors?

I could fit 8x8x4 easy. I'll look into it. So you guys using these more as real low flow denitraters, and not so much ammonia and nitrite processors?

That was my goal, but I have absolutely zero proof that it actually does just that. :) All anecdotal at this point.

BRS had a piece on it:

Fast forward to 2:23 for marinepure discussion.

Marinepure only advertises nitrate removal on the 8X8X4. The others remove ammonia and nitrites, but the 4" brick is deep enough to host bacteria that take care of nitrates. However, all indications are the 8X8X4 works like a charm.

Intent: for extra biological filtration for scape that is low on rock (like mine). I have seen people fill entire 20g with this stuff and swear by it for nitrate reduction. It suppose to have even more surface area than marinepure block.

Those rings will work great for Ammonia and Nitrite. Lots of surface area, easy to clean.
That is just like one of the standard media in an Eheim canister filter.

However: It will not work for Nitrate!
No deep areas to form anoxic (low oxygen) regions you need for those types of denitrifying bacteria.

Funny thing about the Marinepure block: I bet it works better for denitirification if you do NOT clean it.
It looks like the water flows through to quickly until it gets pretty clogged, which means no anoxic zones.

Those rings will work great for Ammonia and Nitrite. Lots of surface area, easy to clean.
That is just like one of the standard media in an Eheim canister filter.

However: It will not work for Nitrate!
No deep areas to form anoxic (low oxygen) regions you need for those types of denitrifying bacteria.

Funny thing about the Marinepure block: I bet it works better for denitirification if you do NOT clean it.
It looks like the water flows through to quickly until it gets pretty clogged, which means no anoxic zones.

The siporax ring suppose to be better than the usual bio media. Dan's reef use a ton in his sump and he swear that take care of his nitrate.

The siporax ring suppose to be better than the usual bio media. Dan's reef use a ton in his sump and he swear that take care of his nitrate.
For it to reduce Nitrates through biological activity, the bacteria need a low oxygen zone.
That cannot happen on the surface. It needs to happen INSIDE something, or the oxygen simply diffuses in from the water.
The depth depends on pore size and much more, so I really do not have a number for siporax.
But given how thin they are, I am very skeptical that siporax can generate that zone and do anything for Nitrates.

I've got one of the 4" marine pure blocks that I got just to make sure I had enough biological filtration. I didn't know there was a possible lowering of nitrates because of how thick it is. I might grab another one since I've got the room.

Back