Neptune Aquatics

Thoughts on Red Sea Max E-170?

I think I've talked my wife into getting a "nice" tank. Every sw tank I've ever owned has been a 2nd hand purchase.
Have been looking very closely at the Red Sea tanks. The 170 seems to be the right size for the room and I think I have a line on a good deal. Seems the the sump on the E-170 is an optional add on, but can't seem to find much info other than YouTube vids about installation.
Does anyone here have an E-170 that would be do kind to share their experiences?
TIA!

I would love to get the 260, but it's just not in the cards right now. The E-170 will be a nice volume upgrade from my BC29 (even more so if I can find the sump upgrade for a decent price) and still small enough to keep my wife happy. I like that is has slightly thicker glass and a few gallons more capacity than the reefer 170. I'll see if the Hydra 26 HD will sway me away from Kessil, but will most likely sell off the skimmer and replace the power station with my Apex. If I go with the optional sump, I'll have to find some place to hide my ATO top off and kalkwasser containers.

I would love to get the 260, but it's just not in the cards right now. The E-170 will be a nice volume upgrade from my BC29 (even more so if I can find the sump upgrade for a decent price) and still small enough to keep my wife happy. I like that is has slightly thicker glass and a few gallons more capacity than the reefer 170. I'll see if the Hydra 26 HD will sway me away from Kessil, but will most likely sell off the skimmer and replace the power station with my Apex. If I go with the optional sump, I'll have to find some place to hide my ATO top off and kalkwasser containers.
The E series come with in sump ATO (if you are going with that)

The glass ATO container included with the optional sump is a little small. I think it's about 2.5 gallons. I've seen pics online where people have drilled it and used it as a refugium. I may go that route.

The glass ATO container included with the optional sump is a little small. I think it's about 2.5 gallons. I've seen pics online where people have drilled it and used it as a refugium. I may go that route.
Check out @RandyC build thread for a nice drilled reefer ato conversion to fuge. Love my reefer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just picked up my RSM nano max. haven't gotten it wet yet, but overall fit and finish is nice. overall, it's a just a great modern looking tank.

I pulled the trigger and picked up the Max E-170.

33191844386_120c668a95_z.jpg

No sump yet. Been thinking that the stock sump may be too small. Might just buy the plumbing kit (got the part number from Red Sea) and go with a custom sump.

Agree on the plumbing; that way you will be ready for the sump. Just put it all together, add a ball valve and cap it at the very bottom.
Use threaded pipe, at least the capped end IMO.

Back