Kessil

Need to borrow a QT tank

So my blue tank iched up

I'm still not sure how. They went through TTM (5 transfers)/Formalin regiment. I'll bite the bullet and treat them + go fallow. I just need something that will hold water around a 40B in size. Probably will use my spare eheim cannister for bio filtration.

Blue Tangs are ich machines I've been told. No matter what you do it will exhibit ich when stressed (such as putting it in a new tank.) Mine did for about three days when I first put it in my old tank about a year and a hlf ago. Since then there's never been a sign of any. Don't know how true this is, but it came from a LFS owner who told me once he wasn't stressed the ich would go away and not come back.

Blue Tangs are ich machines I've been told. No matter what you do it will exhibit ich when stressed (such as putting it in a new tank.) Mine did for about three days when I first put it in my old tank about a year and a hlf ago. Since then there's never been a sign of any. Don't know how true this is, but it came from a LFS owner who told me once he wasn't stressed the ich would go away and not come back.

Not true. I have 5 tangs and none have ich after ttm and proper observation period in quarantine tank. Sometimes they come in hitchhiking on snails. I quarantine everything wet now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true. I have 5 tangs and none have ich after ttm and proper observation period in quarantine tank. Sometimes they come in hitchhiking on snails. I quarantine everything wet now.

That's why I said I'm not sure how true it is. Just passed it along because it did come from a trusted source that's owned a store for ovr a decade. Doesn't mean he isn't wrong though :)

Interesting. A quick search brings up some articles that appear to give some creedence to the idea.

"Cryptocaryon irritans will infect just about any teleost fish in a tropical marine environment, though some fish are notorious “Ich magnets” (i.e. surgeonfishes including Paracanthurus hepatus the Blue Hippo Tang). It is usually brought on by environmental triggers or poor water conditions; changes in water temperature, high levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, low pH levels, low dissolved oxygen, as well as overcrowding."

"On the opposite side are the surgeonfishes, with the Blue Regal/Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) the "crowned king of Ich." I have dealt with literally hundreds of these fish, and I could probably count on one hand the number of Blue Regal Tangs that appeared to be completely free of infection. "

There are so many ways to fail TTM, well done TTM is really hard to do (even though the concept seems easy). I think I'm pretty lucky to not have seen ich yet in my tank. Part of it is I waited to TTM my tangs til the very end, so was more experienced by then. Each time I got better at it. Little things like how to transfer the fish, using bleach spray instead of just letting it dry, buying extra pvc pipe, airstones and tube so I never had to reuse. Having separate siphon tubing. Even separating my TTM tanks to prevent aerosolized transmission. And even after all of that, it can come in on a snail or a clam.

QT everything wet for 72 days, including meticulous TTM is the gold standard (I'm not doing it though). I think LFS owners have a biased opinion when it comes to ich. Many are in the camp that ich can happen no matter what you do, so just provide good husbandry. But that's because they don't QT and quarantine their fish, and every LFS has fish that come in with ich, so it's in their water.

Not ich machines but ich magnets. Not all Tangs but certainly the Blue ones. I can only imagine the stress these fish go through before they reach us

I have my old 30 gallon tank if you want it. You can have the stand it was on too.

I've only done ttm once with this last order I made that had a couple tangs. I've never done any quarantine of any sort either. So there's a chance you got it from my rocks/corals that I gave you. I've just never seen it show up in my tanks.

All those storage container fort fish gotta have some crazy parasites or pathogen in the water. Think of the turn over rate of fish that keeps coming in.

I applaud the effort you're putting forth to eradicate the Ich in your tank, I know I could never do it. If it was me, I'd qt any effected fish and treat them but once they got better they'd go back in. 72 days is such a long time to be without fish in the display. I guess I've got to keep praying I don't get ich and don't have to make the decision.

I applaud the effort you're putting forth to eradicate the Ich in your tank, I know I could never do it. If it was me, I'd qt any effected fish and treat them but once they got better they'd go back in. 72 days is such a long time to be without fish in the display. I guess I've got to keep praying I don't get ich and don't have to make the decision.

It's relative as you spend more on fishes then you start to have you decided do you want to risk wiping out all your other expensive fish? Lost about 1500 2 times in fishes due to skimping on quarantine or breaking there routine. Said to myself no more. Qt all and everything wet.

Thanks a lot for all the offers guys. I got a 75 acrylic from @Yippee and a 20 acrylic from @OnTheReef.

The blue tang made it through this round of ich that gave me sometime to get treatment tank setup before the next round hit.

So the plan is to do formalin dip and then hypo salinity while DT go fallow

Back