Neptune Aquatics

Remember to inspect, dip and qt your new frags!

just a reminder to inspect, dip and quarantine your new frags ... as well as acclimating them!

One of the frags I picked up was crawling with flatworms.

Povidone dip and syringe blast. Then repeat, inspected and in the at tank now.

It was labeled "scraps" and my daughter picked it up from the free table I think.

Just a reminder ...

V

Just finished dipping all mine. Pour a little Bayer into each frag container. Took turns swirling and swishing each one for about 10 min. Toothbrush frag plug and base of coral. Quick dip in fresh RODI, another quick dip in tank water container. Then placed in another tank water container to sit and inspect. Final rinse in another tank water container, then place in DT. All frags looks great!

I just read on rc that some guy lost expensive frags shipping in Bayer then rodi. Guy said it should of been just fresh salt water instead of rodi. Lost like $400 in frags offer something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I saw one of mine what looked like it was swimming in flat worms as well. I'm hopeful everyone treats their new frags before putting them in their tanks

I would never do ro-di dip again. I did it once in the past and none of the coral survived it. I only dip them in bayers for 7 mins now.

I wouldn't dip in rodi. Bayer, then a few containers of increasing concentration of my tank water vs frag water.

Inspect then into tank.

I almost do the same. I drip acclimate first, bayer for 7-10 minutes, and then soak/rinse the frag twice in my tank water for 7-10 minutes.

Not going to lie...These were some of the dirtiest frags I've ever seen.

Pest control for the next members only swap might be worthwhile. Tossed 1/2 the frags I got...

I am so glad I dipped all frags. I used
The same container to dip them and saw plenty of pest. So I don't know what frag had them

Yes with all the change over in membership sometimes we need to cover the basics a little better than we did this year. Definitely my bad. Can be hard to put yourself back in the shoes of a newbie and cover all the basics like containers to use, dipping post swap, not bringing stuff that you know has pests, and warning people on the labels if you have/have had pests in your tank.

I also think we may want to consider requiring people to have been supporting members by a certain date before the swap, and/or require attendance at a certain amount of club events over the last year etc... as a condition of eligibility for this swap. If people can't be bothered to join the club ahead of time im not sure how much I trust that they will have frags made in advance that are well healed. Buying frags from a store for the swap is something that has been ok in the past that I think we should look at stopping as well. We want people dragging their own corals for this really. I much prefer a captively fragged coral that someone has been keeping successfully in their tank for years (or at least months) than a freshly imported and chopped acro from an unknown store. These two are not equal to me and I don't think the latter is something we want to be encouraging. Maybe if lfs sponsors were putting together swap packs that were more along the lines of what we want it would be ok? I dunno, just rambling at this point. Good swap in general though everybody, hope we can all make it to the regional swap in august/September, and the members only swap next year.

We are here to help each other and educate, so there's always a learning curve for new reefers. Either a educational demonstration/slideshow or brochures or links before starting the swap would be helpful.

But it is great feedback to know about bad/risky frags, otherwise these discussions wouldn't pop up.

One thing I do before packing the corals is to blow them in front of return/powerhead to clean algae/stuff off the plugs.

As I noticed with SPS frags, at least the ones I got. Usually they are more from experienced reefers, so they tend to be more safe/cleaner.

Just a suggestion contact companies that make Coral Dips. I was able to get a couple companies to donate samples of coral dip when I was working for NVR. Most are more than willing to get people to try out their stuff.

We are here to help each other and educate, so there's always a learning curve for new reefers. Either a educational demonstration/slideshow or brochures or links before starting the swap would be helpful.

But it is great feedback to know about bad/risky frags, otherwise these discussions wouldn't pop up.

One thing I do before packing the corals is to blow them in front of return/powerhead to clean algae/stuff off the plugs.

As I noticed with SPS frags, at least the ones I got. Usually they are more from experienced reefers, so they tend to be more safe/cleaner.

Maybe add a "if you have pests, please write it on he label", along with a "how to identify pests" in the op for the next swap. Pests happen, but if you're aware of them, your fellow reefers should be made aware of them as well.

As suggestion at the next swap BOD should make eveyone aware that pest may be present and they should dip all corals or hand out info on how to use coral dips.

Back