Our mission

Leemar Starphire 290

Not sure why but my golden dwarf also went on a feeding strike awhile back. It wasn't out for a solid 1.5 months even though I was chumming the water with the silverside. It's usually out when I have the silverside thawing as it can smell the silverside. On the days that I just feed the fish, it's never out since the silverside isn't in the mix. Not sure if it had to do with the fact that the sand sifting cucumber buried its cave on the left and the eel had to migrate to the rockwork on the right.

I thought I was gonna lose the little guy, but it eventually came out at the 1.5 month mark, and has been eating well on the weekly to semi-weekly cycle.

Not sure why but my golden dwarf also went on a feeding strike awhile back. It wasn't out for a solid 1.5 months even though I was chumming the water with the silverside. It's usually out when I have the silverside thawing as it can smell the silverside. On the days that I just feed the fish, it's never out since the silverside isn't in the mix. Not sure if it had to do with the fact that the sand sifting cucumber buried its cave on the left and the eel had to migrate to the rockwork on the right.

I thought I was gonna lose the little guy, but it eventually came out at the 1.5 month mark, and has been eating well on the weekly to semi-weekly cycle.

Crazy, we had a few similar episodes. Didn't come out for weeks. Found myself checking the overflow, around the tank, etc. assuming it had escaped, but then it would show up again. It got more and more difficult to feed though. Just wouldn't take it.

Both of those tanks are great! IMO you can't beat the look of mature corals. I love it when you look at colonies and see fish and inverts in them.
On your frag tank, is that a small overflow box that drains out horizontally to your sump? Does it stay really full so it doesn't suck in air and be noisy? I do not know much about plumbing and haven't noticed one like that before.

Both of those tanks are great! IMO you can't beat the look of mature corals. I love it when you look at colonies and see fish and inverts in them.
On your frag tank, is that a small overflow box that drains out horizontally to your sump? Does it stay really full so it doesn't suck in air and be noisy? I do not know much about plumbing and haven't noticed one like that before.

Thanks. The chromis and the cardinal fish are always hanging inside the acro's. Pretty cool at night, when they are all in their hiding places.

Yes, the overflow is in the front on this tank and is just barely large enough to handle the flow. It is pretty quiet actually, but the 1.5" drain is pretty loud. I am happy with it though.........my last frag tank drain would gurgle at times, very loudly. This has a pleasant sound of running water......almost like a creek. Louder than I would like, but much more pleasant than the last one. I had planned to do a multi-stage drain to help quiet it down, but didn't have the room. That is really the way to go though.

Maybe we should have a plumbing class. It takes me forever to do plumbing, but it is a very creative process and can be a fun challenge. That could be a fun topic for the club. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the plumbing class would help a lot of people. I for one am not good at it and generally bring someone in who can knock it for me
I think plumbing would be helpful for a lot of people who might be intimidated by it. And can include drilling glass and bulkhead tutorial as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think plumbing would be helpful for a lot of people who might be intimidated by it. And can include drilling glass and bulkhead tutorial as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tried drilling glass. Great idea.

I can do, but can I teach? I could answer questions and demonstrate stuff I guess.
Shits easy once you've done it a couple times...cut here, glue there, teflon on that, and voila!

Lucky photo bomb! Male Flame Wrasse

tri color acro

Green Pagoda (Gimmito gave me this as a little 1" square frag that came from Shiu Tins (sp?) large tank breakdown. Love this coral. The brighter green fluoresces under the actinic.

Happy Candy Cane

Space invader Pectina ( I need to move this to lower light, so it grows a little more spaced out. Just didn't have the room. With the new frag tank, this will be fixed soon.)

Forestfire digi (from Bob @tankguy)

Amazing tank!!

Question: What are you using for flow on the main tank?
Looks like a couple of Tunze, but hard to tell.
I never seem to be able to get the flow right.

Amazing tank!!

Question: What are you using for flow on the main tank?
Looks like a couple of Tunze, but hard to tell.
I never seem to be able to get the flow right.

Thanks.

I use 6 Tunze 6105's. I started with 4 (two on each side wall) however found that I had some dead spots in the back, near the overflow. So I added two more on the back wall, shooting accross the bottom.

It was recommended that I sell the 4 that I had, and buy two of the new 6255's. However, I already had the 4, and I like being able to aim each of them at different points to get more random flow. Although I hear the new 6255's are pretty amazing.

They also have a new Stream 3 that does a gyro kind of thing, like the maxspect gyre's. Haven't researched them much, but they look interesting.

Back