Cali Kid Corals

Do corals need a period of time with no lights?

On my QT, I'm running old power compacts just because those are the lights I have on hand. I may switch to my kessil 150.

But I've been lazy and not put the lights on a timer, so I switch them on when I wake up (tanks are in the dining room) when I eat breakfast and turn them off when I go to be, which might be midnight.

However, sometimes I just forget to turn them off.

My DT is on timers that turn on around 6 and stay on until 1 or 2 AM, beacuse I am on "Time of Use" power and lights on at night are cheaper.

Am I driving my corals and/or fish insane with a reversed photo period or a NEVER ENDING photperiod?

V

I'm sure long term it would likely be bad but here and there would likely have a much smaller effect. Remember that the symbiotic relationship the coral has with the zooxanthellae is a balance.

If it only happens every once in a while, then the corals will be just fine. If it is left on for long periods of time, they will suffer. I once left my lights on for 4 days straight... I was messing with my lights and then when out of town for a few days. When I came back, all of my corals were starting to bleach and looked super pissed off. They all survived but looked really bad for a while.

On my QT, I'm running old power compacts just because those are the lights I have on hand. I may switch to my kessil 150.

But I've been lazy and not put the lights on a timer, so I switch them on when I wake up (tanks are in the dining room) when I eat breakfast and turn them off when I go to be, which might be midnight.

However, sometimes I just forget to turn them off.

My DT is on timers that turn on around 6 and stay on until 1 or 2 AM, beacuse I am on "Time of Use" power and lights on at night are cheaper.

Am I driving my corals and/or fish insane with a reversed photo period or a NEVER ENDING photperiod?

V

You're a parent. Just imagine what would happen to you if your kids kept you up for over 24 hours.

Back