got ethical husbandry?

Rygh's 250 gallon - rev.2

New lighting plan:
I just don't have the time or inclination to do a full DIY LED array.
I keep thinking about it, but never really starting, and it needs to get done.
It is just an upgrade, so not as exciting. And I have way to many other projects.
And it really does not save all that much money.

So the tentative plan:
1) Create a new acrylic/wood hood to mount the lights.
2) Buy 11 (yes eleven) of the Aqua Illumination Prime HD Modules.

Why:
I like all 3 of the main vendors about the same (AI / Kessil / EcoTech)
But the nice thing about AI is they have a smaller 55W version for "only" $225.
That was really the only way to get the nice even distribution I want. Less shimmer, no shadows.
So 55W each, 600W max total, which is a bit overkill.
They claim coverage up to 24x24, but realistically it is far less. I am overlapping to about 15" x 15" regions.
Setup will be slightly asymmetric, since SPS is more on left, and I have to avoid a center brace.

Setup:
View attachment 6918
Well...now I'm disappointed that you're not doing the DIY... ;-)

Personally I've always liked shimmer and unless the shading is extreme it really doesn't bother me. I'm with you on the DIY project. I always find enjoyment from building something myself but there's a point where you just want it done.

24x24 area and 55w? HA! Yeah. I think most lights claim that. I mean ok technically a single 5mm LED could do that, but how effective it is who knows.

But I think you got a good plan doing overlapping smaller areas. I've been toying with the idea of a moving lighting system just so I don't need lights over the whole tank, but I'm way behind on the curve when it comes to even get a tank up :D

And yeah, grand ambitions, but no time/energy/etc to see it through, that's the story of my life :D

24x24 area and 55w? HA! Yeah. I think most lights claim that. I mean ok technically a single 5mm LED could do that, but how effective it is who knows.

But I think you got a good plan doing overlapping smaller areas. I've been toying with the idea of a moving lighting system just so I don't need lights over the whole tank, but I'm way behind on the curve when it comes to even get a tank up :D

And yeah, grand ambitions, but no time/energy/etc to see it through, that's the story of my life :D
At the 60% profile that I'm running my Hydra 26 drain about 56w. Shadowing aside, that can cover 24x24 area (and more) easily for mixed reef purpose. The miyagi tort (My hardest sps yet) seems to be growing just fine 12" from surface.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The problem with movable lights is you need to increase the time they are on.
Lets say you do a 50% light, that is on each side half the time. Then the light has to be on twice as long.
Seems like it would drive the fish nuts.

4 Mitras would get awesome coverage and very good spread since the pucks are spread out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They are somewhat spread out, but not really all that far.
My tank is 28" wide, front to back, and I don't think a row along the center would do it.
Although I could do that and also have extra strips.

What you think of this configuration. You have more control of all the LEDs too with ghl's pucks.

I -- -- I

?

Scott lief has a 500 gallon tank and only running 6 of them I think you can get by with 4

What you think of this configuration. You have more control of all the LEDs too with ghl's pucks.

I -- -- I

?

I am sure it would work for coral growth, but it still seems like you would get weird coverage.
I think the only good way is like you have on your tank, but with an extra one for my longer tank.
The difference is then:
Cost = +50%
reflectors vs lenses. Pros/Cons on each
Diode selection and programming are roughly the same.

If you're Willing to spend the money go w the primes. Will work well. Just think you could do like 5-6 hydra 26 and get pretty good coverage for less.

I would put hydra 26 coverage at 18x24. Meaning you would want 8 and will have spill over. The 52s would work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed a CO2 scrubber.
I have fairly low PH, and @Gablami had a slightly used one cheap, so thought I would try it.
Results are so-so.
It made a difference, but not that much.
Old range was 7.75 to 7.95.
New range is 7.9 to 8.1
It is better on the low end, which is nice.
I double checked Alk, and it is around 10.
I dose Vinegar, and I use Baking Soda for the Alk 2 part. So my theory is that those are still driving PH down.
I am already seeing a bit of purple in the media after just a few days, so I worry how long it will last.

IMG_1661.JPG
ph_graph.jpg

Your best bet is to get outside air. You'll kill through those media quick.

I tried that a while back with a tube out the door. No real difference.
My sump is in the garage, and back door is usually open when we are home, so lots of fresh air.

I have also tried micro-bubbles.
I put a small airstone under a powerhead, so it chopped it up.
Again, no difference.

I really think it is 3 things:
1) Auto-Vinegar dosing every 3 hours.
2) Auto-Alk dosing with Baking soda, not soda ash.
3) A fairly enclosed display tank, so not very good O2/CO2 exchange there.
(I want to limit moisture in the house)

Key is looking at the PH plot. It still never has a plateau at the top.

So to me, it is more an issue of not enough overall air exchange, not so much the air itself.
The skimmer alone simply can't do it.

I need to improve my ventilation system on the sump and main tank.
I do pull some air through the enclosed systems, but not enough.

PH is in log scale so even a 0.1 movement is significant.

If CO2 pure air (after scrubber) doesn't move it that much, then outside air, which has 300-400ppm CO2, won't do much.

It's still going up! We haven't seen the zenith yet. Turning up your DC skimmer power might help too. You can try taking it to 100% and bring the water level down and see if that helps further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back