Neptune Aquatics

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

Are the corals from CRC and it's a secret because they have no signage on the outside of their building; or have you truly found a new LFS?

Last edited:
No signage? Well that's a great way to run a business into the ground :D

I went there once (it's a long drive from SF, not because of any state of the store), and I thought they were closed when I got there because the hours of operation sign said they were, then someone walked out the front door and I was like...WTF!? Luckily I didn't just hop in my car and get all pissy and leave :D

They do have a banner or some kind of sign in the window, but it's hard to see through the tinted glass. I'm sure they must have plans for a real sign in the near future or at least I hope they do. I was in their parking lot and drove right past it, now I know CRC is actually in the first row of buildings closest to the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of stuff has happened in the last few weeks

The goods
My SPS started growing strong. Miyagi tort and Red Planet started going vertical

The bads
I'm hitting all the pests bingo

Aiptasia
Found 2, one of a rock and one in the middle of a zoa colony. Nuked them both with Joe's Juice

upload_2017-5-2_11-34-32.png

upload_2017-5-2_11-34-54.png

Flatworms
They are haven't gotten out of hand yet but starting to look ugly. I'm considering Flatwork Exit

Nudi
I saw a zoa colony lost some bits and found this guy right under it. He was fairly pretty, bright green under artinic, wish I could keep him.

upload_2017-5-2_11-40-47.png

upload_2017-5-2_11-40-20.png

Lost Fishes
A small six line wrasse just disappeared from DT. He was perfectly healthy as far as I can see.
A small tomini tang died in QT after 2 weeks. He was eating like a champ the day before so I'm stumped here. I rechecked water for ammonia issue but that wasn't the case.

New Fish
Finally got a pair of Mandarins

Equipments
Still working on the design of my manifold. Almost final design
upload_2017-5-2_11-51-11.png

Finally got light install inside the sump so I can see

upload_2017-5-2_11-52-26.png

upload_2017-5-2_11-52-48.png

I was planning on installing some sump lighting (yours looks sweet by the way) but I just flip on my refugium light when I need to work down there.

That really sucks that you've got all those pests. I'm fairly certain I had some kind of flatworm in the 30 gallon but they didn't seem to bother any of the corals. From what I read on RC the ones to look out for are the red ones. Mine were white.

Good luck with the mandarins. Mine jumped out. I still want to replace it with at least one maybe a pair.

Or a melanarus or another 6-line?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May be I'll try a melanarus next. Need to make it over to AC sometime.

Ahh pests.... my sympathies!
Suggest flatworm exit ASAP. Using that when they are well established can cause big tank problems when they die.

Yep I got FWE on the way. Debating how much manual removal I need to do before mass extermination. I'll probably rinse the loose colonies through dip

See if I saw aiptasia in a zoa colony, I would remove the colony, maybe cut off the good ones, and throw away zoas with aiptasia attached.

I almost chucked it too. But I want to see the effectiveness of the treatment so I kept it for science. So far there has been no sign of resurgence.

I'm so jealous! Your tank looks amazing!

Thanks.

I'll answer your question here in case other find it helpful.

I absolutely love the Red Sea Reefer
Pros
* Best bang for the buck if you want the modern look
* Effective plumbing out of the box, no fiddling with pipes and leaks
* Great tank build quality and dimension

Cons - sorta
* The sump is somewhat of a blank slate (no fuge) that you can modify by divider to arrive at your final solution.
* None standard size sock holder so you would have to buy it from Red Sea (yes you can mod it though)

I bought it through BRS weekend group sale so 2600 with 10% back for future purchase. They drop ship it to your door. They don't charge you sale tax up front but you will have to pay sale tax eventually (long story with Department of Agriculture checkpoint and board of equalization).

Fuge #2 is online. I'm using a CJ pump for now till the manifold is ready. Cheato at the bottom, egg crate + a rock to hold it down. The top part I will fill with other type of macro algaes (anyone got any cool one?).

upload_2017-5-9_16-12-33.png

You don't want the chaeto to tumble?

Nah I've been growing chaeto by spreading them between two egg crates (chaeto sandwich) and putting in front of the light to maximize light usage. The chaeto would grow through the egg crate and I would cut them off every once in awhile. This works very well and keep things neat..

Nah I've been growing chaeto by spreading them between two egg crates (chaeto sandwich) and putting in front of the light to maximize light usage. The chaeto would grow through the egg crate and I would cut them off every once in awhile. This works very well and keep things neat..
I've been tempted to do this. My chaeto never tumbles anyway.

Back