Our mission

Hello all! I'm as noob as noob gets :)

We are noobs ourselves, and I can 100% tell you YES everyone in the club is this awesome. They have been patiently guiding us for 3 years, dropping. H to help us fix stuff on occasion and just generally being thoughtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks block! That's exactly what I was looking for when I signed up here.. guidance. [emoji4]

What size is the tank?

I started out buying stuff on Amazon but found that Bulk Reef Supply has a better selection of strictly reef related merchandise. Also if you haven't already, binge watch their BRS 160 videos. They set up a new reef tank and walk you through practically all the things you should plan for and teach you what you need to know.

What size is the tank?

I started out buying stuff on Amazon but found that Bulk Reef Supply has a better selection of strictly reef related merchandise. Also if you haven't already, binge watch their BRS 160 videos. They set up a new reef tank and walk you through practically all the things you should plan for and teach you what you need to know.

45 Gallon tank. Yes, I must've already seen a few dozen BRS videos.. very informative! And yes, BRS is already saved in my favorites [emoji4]. Thanks for all the tips Flagg!

Btw, I can't believe I forgot to mention this last night, but I just want to thank Gabe for the awesome real reef rocks that he gave to me yesterday. Met him and he's a very cool dude [emoji1360]. I'm so glad to have found this forum, I've only been here a couple days and I'm already feeling the warm support. I can't wait to establish my tank and be able to "pay it forward" somehow to someone else in this group [emoji4]

Let me know if you need any "basics." I have extra heaters, power heads, tubing, scrapers, nets, frag plugs, etc. Also have some frags for you when you are ready.

I've got a lot of the basics covered.. I was able to salvage a lot of the equipment from my sister's tank when she tried (and gave up) the hobby years ago. Surprisingly all her power heads are still working after being stored in the garage for a full decade! I'll most likely upgrade the pumps eventually but they should be good enough to get me through my cycle at least. Her heater is also working, but this one i'm not going to risk, figure I can pick up a decent one at Petco this weekend. That said, I will take you up on the frags once my tank is setup :)

Thanks for the offer Bruce, so kind of you!

You might think about getting the heaters, pumps and power heads now. They are the item that goes out most and when they go trouble is on the way and can happen within hours. Overnighting a return pump is expensive so I recommend having back ups around. They can also be some of the cheapest equipment (compared to good skimmers, control modules, etc...).

Edit.. Maybe the return pump is the one most needed. You CAN get BY with just the return pump if the power heads die.

You might think about getting the heaters, pumps and power heads now. They are the item that goes out most and when they go trouble is on the way and can happen within hours. Overnighting a return pump is expensive so I recommend having back ups around. They can also be some of the cheapest equipment (compared to good skimmers, control modules, etc...).

Edit.. Maybe the return pump is the one most needed. You CAN get BY with just the return pump if the power heads die.

Thanks for the tip! I guess I can pick up some new powerheads this weekend and keep the old ones as my back up. Noobie question: the return pump is for transporting the water from the sump back to the main tank, right? Noobie question part 2: Do i need the sump up and working and connected to the main tank when I do my cycle? I was hoping to do some DIY mods to my sump WHILE my tank is cycling.

Noobie question: the return pump is for transporting the water from the sump back to the main tank, right?
Yes, that's it exactly. I'll add that Eheim has been a real stable performer for me. I always have two identical return pumps for every system that I run: the one in service and a backup.

Noobie question part 2: Do i need the sump up and working and connected to the main tank when I do my cycle? I was hoping to do some DIY mods to my sump WHILE my tank is cycling.
Your sump and everything in it will cycle (which is to say become populated with Nitrosomas and Nitrobacter bacteria, algae, diatoms, etc) just like the main display. Also, if you are working on your sump / plumbing, this generally necessitates draining the main tank. Patience, young Padawan. Get your sump, plumbing and wiring all straightened out, *then* add water. :p

You should also do a "power loss" test on your plumbing. Once the main display and sump have water, cut the power and let everything drain to stasis. Keep an eye on your sump and plumbing for drips and potential floods. The first time I did this, I had unwittingly created a siphon in one of my returns that did not show itself until the system was full and then powered. Took my sump straight over the top. *glub* *glub* ... Which reminds me, I highly recommend putting a shower liner tub together inside your cabinet to guard against spills and overflows. I'll try to post a pic soon of the one inside my 100 gallon cabinet.

Last edited:
Yes, that's it exactly. I'll add that Eheim has been a real stable performer for me. I always have two identical return pumps for every system that I run: the one in service and a backup.

Your sump and everything in it will cycle (which is to say become populated with Nitrosomas and Nitrobacter bacteria, algae, diatoms, etc) just like the main display. Also, if you are working on your sump / plumbing, this generally necessitates draining the main tank. Patience, young Padawan. Get your sump, plumbing and wiring all straightened out, *then* add water. :p

*sigh* It'll be a glorious day when i finally pour that water in the tank. :)

wait.. you haven't done water leak test? please do that for a used tank before you do any major work on it :) I would always test the water leak before I put any time and energy into it.

*sigh* It'll be a glorious day when i finally pour that water in the tank. :)
You *can* get a head start cycling your live rock. All you need is a ~40 gal Tupperware bin, a heater with a heater guard (don't melt your tub!) https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Heater-Guard-Protector-Suction/dp/B00E92ZHKI and a powerhead. Also, I will put in a good word for Dr. Tim's products. Get some Ammonium Chloride and bacteria culture to get your cycling started:
https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6
https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Nitrifying-Bacteria-Cycling/dp/B002DVRHMS/

It will take 4-6 weeks, so it does make sense to get this process started.

You *can* get a head start cycling your live rock. All you need is a ~40 gal Tupperware bin, a heater with a heater guard (don't melt your tub!) https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Heater-Guard-Protector-Suction/dp/B00E92ZHKI and a powerhead. Also, I will put in a good word for Dr. Tim's products. Get some Ammonium Chloride and bacteria culture to get your cycling started:
https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6
https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Nitrifying-Bacteria-Cycling/dp/B002DVRHMS/

It will take 4-6 weeks, so it does make sense to get this process started.

Great idea.. thanks! :)

I have extra of the dr. Tim's ammonium chloride. Your welcome to use as much as you need. It should only be a couple ml.

I agree with @OnTheReef but you can cycle your rocks, tank, and sand by just not filling it all the way. The sump would not have all the beneficial bacteria but most of the surface area that it grows on is on the rock.

Just venting, this past Saturday was supposed to be my "getting the tank ready" day. That's until my wife told me that we had to go to a birthday party in Sacramento [emoji53]. What's worse is that this coming weekend we have a wedding to go to. *sigh* I would love to have a weekend with just me and my tank.. pleeeaaasse. [emoji22]

Back