Reef nutrition

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

Playing around with cheap gel filter swatch + phone camera.

upload_2017-5-10_13-35-3.png

It depends on the light you use. If it's strong enough, you don't need to make your chaeto tumble. The reason for the tumbling is so light gets to all the chaeto. If you are using a 10w Home Depot PAR38 led light, you will probably need to tumble the chaeto to ensure growth all around. If not, the bottom dies from lack of light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the light you use. If it's strong enough, you don't need to make your chaeto tumble. The reason for the tumbling is so light gets to all the chaeto. If you are using a 10w Home Depot PAR38 led light, you will probably need to tumble the chaeto to ensure growth all around. If not, the bottom dies from lack of light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
About once a week I throw my socks in and stir up the fuge good and rotate the chaeto mass.

Right through the mouth. You don't need to wait for them to have two mouths before cutting. Both halves will regrow around the mouth and form a complete central column from the half of each mouth. The green areas in the frags above are the mouth.

The R. florida next to this yuma is massive and has three mouths. It's a decent grower and I'm letting it split naturally instead of cutting it.

Finally gotten around to adding my 3rd light. I decided to go with a hydra 52 and mount in an H configuration as the middle part of the tank is skinner due to the overflow.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 11.53.58 AM.png

Right through the mouth. You don't need to wait for them to have two mouths before cutting. Both halves will regrow around the mouth and form a complete central column from the half of each mouth. The green areas in the frags above are the mouth.

The R. florida next to this yuma is massive and has three mouths. It's a decent grower and I'm letting it split naturally instead of cutting it.
So what would happen if you missed the mouth? Would the mouthless one grow one? Or would it be stuck to only photosynthesis for energy and end up dying?

So what would happen if you missed the mouth? Would the mouthless one grow one? Or would it be stuck to only photosynthesis for energy and end up dying?

Depends on what you're cutting. If you're cutting normal mushrooms, you can chunk them up into quite a few pieces and they'll still be okay. With Ricordeas, I would go with cuts where there's a central column that they can regrow around. They wither away without parts of the mouth to grow around IME. R. yumas are a bit more finicky than floridas, so I would just cut them in halves whereas you can go thirds or just let floridas split on their own since they do self propagate much quicker.

Phuong is that the last of the added lights or are you going to add a couple more on both edges there?

Depends on what you're cutting. If you're cutting normal mushrooms, you can chunk them up into quite a few pieces and they'll still be okay. With Ricordeas, I would go with cuts where there's a central column that they can regrow around. They wither away without parts of the mouth to grow around IME. R. yumas are a bit more finicky than floridas, so I would just cut them in halves whereas you can go thirds or just let floridas split on their own since they do self propagate much quicker.
Yeah I seem to remember "back in the day" the trick for propagating mushrooms is to toss them into a blender, then poor the slurry back into the tank or something crazy like that :D

For me the real trick with Ricordia is getting them to stick to a rock!

Yeah I seem to remember "back in the day" the trick for propagating mushrooms is to toss them into a blender, then poor the slurry back into the tank or something crazy like that :D

For me the real trick with Ricordia is getting them to stick to a rock!

I lost a ricordia that way thinking they will stick to superglue on a rock :/

Yep, that what one guy did with some shrooms. Tossed them into a blender and then poured the crap out into the tank for hundreds.

I left mine on the rocks so it was pretty easy to do. You can also sequester Ricordeas in a container over some rubble and they should eventually stick to something.

Just got back from 10 days vacation. Tank is still going strong but not without some drama.

Couple days into the trip, I got alert from Apex that tank temp has gone above 80 (I keep it at 78). It was the heat wave and my AC condenser was still wrapped up from the winter. The next day @RandyC dropped by to help me unwrap the condenser to get ready for another day of heat BUT the AC didn't work at all so tank temp start hitting 81+. We didn't have any small fan handy so I had my mom put in some zip lock bag of ice into the sump and that keep it from going up further and that got us through the heat.

Thanks @Gablami for stopping by to checkout and refill my ATO.

Last night I got home at 2AM due to delayed flight. When I walked in the door, the I can hear the tank sound like a rumbling truck. The main drain membrane valve somehow has closed a little too much and water was gurgling down the back up drain. Easy fix but that got me scared for a little.

Over most corals did well when I was gone. A few disc of zoa got knocked into the sand but they'll live. I can't find one of my wrasse this morning but hopefully he was just hiding.

I know the feeling. When I got back from Hawaii several frags were missing and some were in the sand bed. Overall my tank still looked pretty good, but I think it missed me. :p

Back