Kessil

DIY frag tank

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
As frags are taking over my main tank I want to move those out of my tank by setting up a frag tank next to it, and I saw this on amazon

http://a.co/cNiIFHB

is it good idea to use the plastic bin or just build a small shallow glass tank ?

you are going to plumb it into your main tank as well right?

You can just get a good ol 20g long and drill the overflow lower for "shallow" tank.

Don't use plastic tub, you want to be able to observe the condition of the coral easily. Tidal Gardens is moving away from 300g Rubbermaid to all glass tank for this.

As frags are taking over my main tank I want to move those out of my tank by setting up a frag tank next to it, and I saw this on amazon

http://a.co/cNiIFHB

is it good idea to use the plastic bin or just build a small shallow glass tank ?

I've used similar plastic containers for frags.

Just threw on a HOB filter with a heater and media in the compartment and propped a light across the top of the tub.

Didn't need much light for such a shallow setup, and top down view of the corals was ok for me.

You can just do water changes from the frag tank back to your main system. Frag tank is fairly clean, and main system can handle water processing.

A setup like that was good even for me to have a pair of frogfishes spawn several times.

I had never really thought of doing a frag tank since I didn't want to maintain 2 tanks but I've got quite a bit of room in my fuge. I might just add a light and put a frag rack in there.

Frag tanks are nice if you really want to grow out coral for distribution either planned or unplanned down the road. While those plastic bins certainly might work, I would advise against any long term usage of them as they're really not designed to hold water to the brim full time. They will bow out and that might cause them to crack in the corners.

My advice is wait until Petco has one of it's $1/gallon sales, you can get 10g glass tanks, 20g breeders (shorter and longer), even tanks up to 55g (I think). Looks nicer, you know it's designed to hold water, and you usually can drill the sides of them (bottom not so much usually)

40 breeder makes a nice frag tank.

I drilled the back for 2 drains and siliconed in a strip of glass at an angle the full length across the back for an overflow.

Used a plex box on the outside with a durso.

hell a 40 breeder makes a nice display tank! Got the right proportions that makes it feel big without being too short. Man part of me wishes I was my younger unmarried self who had multiple tanks around the house :D

Norm, did you bevel the edge of the glass you used for an overflow? Or did you leave it squared off?

Back