Our mission

Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

Hey Gabe, I just read through your build thread. Congrats on such a fantastic tank! And I'm impressed how quickly you have seemed to master complex issues that take most people years. That's a lot of reading!

I wanted to find out what made you want to add T5s to your AP700s. I'm planning an upgrade to the Red Sea Reefer 750 which is a little larger than your tank but I was only planning on 2 AP700s like you had, based on manufacturer info. If you felt it wasn't putting out enough light or not good enough light, I'd be interested to learn more about your experience. I've been using Kessils since their first light and I'm pretty much mentally committed to the sleek LED fixtures (not combos) but would be open to a different type or more of them if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the compliments :). First of all, this community has been great, and I've learned a lot from threads here and from friends I've been able to make "in real life." I am also nowhere near an expert, and I'm making changes probably because my tank is not where I want it to be.

Two AP700 is more than enough light for a 6 ft tank (like the 750xxl). For my 5 footer I wasn't even up to 40% intensity (though I was increasing it). I did par measurements in another thread and the AP700s had lots of light to spare. I bet most people can't run these lights at 100% because they're so powerful.

Lighting is a personal preference. I don't think it's debatable anymore that LED fixtures can grow SPS. I've noticed many sps tanks that I admire have t5 or led/t5 hybrid. I really like the shimmer of led, and I think a hybrid t5/led fixture is the best of both worlds. I also like to build/tinker/learn, so this was a chance for me to do that. Maybe next year I'll be using metal halide!

But rest assured, two AP700s has plenty of light and I'm really happy with them. Btw, I now have some extra mounts if you're open to getting them used. A surprisingly pricey item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Gabe, I just read through your build thread. Congrats on such a fantastic tank! And I'm impressed how quickly you have seemed to master complex issues that take most people years. That's a lot of reading!

I wanted to find out what made you want to add T5s to your AP700s. I'm planning an upgrade to the Red Sea Reefer 750 which is a little larger than your tank but I was only planning on 2 AP700s like you had, based on manufacturer info. If you felt it wasn't putting out enough light or not good enough light, I'd be interested to learn more about your experience. I've been using Kessils since their first light and I'm pretty much mentally committed to the sleek LED fixtures (not combos) but would be open to a different type or more of them if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think the ap700 works fort him but he added the t5s to fill in the shadowing cause led is more direct lighting. At least that's what I got from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for taking the time to go into detail, very helpful. I admire the tinkering, it is a lot of effort for you but something we all can learn from.

I definitely am interested in the Kessil arms!

Hey guys, found a product I wanted to share. For those who have vortechs and want a securing bracket more low profile with a BLACK sticker back as opposed to white (meaning you don't see the white square adhesive from the inside of the tank), check out this product. Will hold the dry side of dislodged but can't make any promises if a kid is pulling on it.

980b9c750f206cdc340f102e7ed84e9b.jpg

e8b2b3f31bda69fd0d2d91fd7933ffe6.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to go into detail, very helpful. I admire the tinkering, it is a lot of effort for you but something we all can learn from.

I definitely am interested in the Kessil arms!

If JVU decides not to get your Kessil arms, I am interested in them only if/after he declines.

Nice build, thanks for sharing. I am just gathering parts for my build and going to be going with AP700's.

Best regards,
Mike

Great job Gabe. That's impressive.

I use cobalt drill bits for drilling into steel. The titanium ones are just coated in titanium and are more made for wood. Also, a drill press helps immensely for drilling into steel if you have one. Another tip if you are going hand held is to use a smaller bit to begin with and move up to a larger one. I'll regularly will need to drill 1/2" holes and usually start out with 1/16", then 1/4", then 1/2". You'll need to use far less pressure and it cuts through it quicker.

Thanks John. I actually started using some 1/16" bit for the first hole, but it was taking forever. And I can see how a drill press would help. Not sure when I'll need to drill through steel again. Seemed kinda like a once-in-a-life-time sort of thing for me...

Saw a few tanks that added some LED strip lighting to the back of the tank for atmosphere. $20 bucks on Amazon and there's a remote with a bunch of different color combinations and dimming, etc:

1f368807087000a65c50c4aada029ecf.jpg

21cd3ffc42ae9106cb028ea0c12648b8.jpg

2b60f520c3c10ebf2aab7e31d00fbe94.jpg

Hey guys, found a product I wanted to share. For those who have vortechs and want a securing bracket more low profile with a BLACK sticker back as opposed to white (meaning you don't see the white square adhesive from the inside of the tank), check out this product. Will hold the dry side of dislodged but can't make any promises if a kid is pulling on it.

980b9c750f206cdc340f102e7ed84e9b.jpg

e8b2b3f31bda69fd0d2d91fd7933ffe6.jpg

How are these holding up? Is the adhesive strong?

ahhh ok, so you're illuminating the wall no the tank directly. Either way still super slick.

I've used a different version of that tape strip light in my closet as a make shift light (that lights every shelf), it works ok, but the LEDs tend to go bonkers after a while.

I made some dosing containers that I think are pretty nice. Wanted to share. I have a DOS DDR reservoir which I think is a ripoff at $200. I check my tank often enough to know when my fluid is running low. Also the material of the DDR is acrylic, which cannot hold fluids like alcohol, vinegar etc, unless significantly diluted. These oxo containers are glass and well made.

Here are the supplies:

bb677639a7847560bf434ddb4a0c3110.jpg

42b63905d3d61cbb9032d06fcb4a94d6.jpg

3e02617313377a6038fc687a046fdeee.jpg

Drill bits, drill, sharpie marking pen.

116ee74fa67847e61dee0ea988ac95e2.jpg

It was a pain drilling these holes. Youll ultimately need to drill a 5/8" hole. In order to not crack the plastic, I used a sharpie to draw a circle around the base of the bulkhead, and used a small bit to perforate a bunch of small holes around the circle, before using the large drill bit.

617ac775e79ff5bbb9a0990428bafc2a.jpg

Drilled a tiny vent hole.

075a365ebfc5fc089c8091ba92814e39.jpg

For this size container the acrylic tube length should be cut to 7 1/8". Push it in, and then push it in some more.

4dc63f8cc7d979a90177d3b8fd3e3c20.jpg

Oh, and according to @roostertech and @RandyC, these bulkheads do not leak.

Back