Our mission

Hydroids??

Peter and I were working on the reef tank today and he noticed hundreds of small white specks on the glass.

We think they are Hydroids? Should we be concerned?

hydroid.png

I've seen those on my glass too. I'm curious what people come up with. My first thought when I saw them was baby aptasia. I don't think so anymore though. They'd be all over my tank by now if they were.

Relax I had a bunch of them too. They are hydroids but not the bad kind. I posted photos on this forum and then I looked over the Internet forums. They eventually went away on their own. Looks exactly like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hydroids I had(have?) were like little tubes all over rocks, not the vermedit snails, they were in very dense cluster almost like carpet, somewhat soft to the touch. But damnit if they don't spread. Worse of all, whenever I'd rub up against them it'd get very itchy with little bumps.

The hydroids I had(have?) were like little tubes all over rocks, not the vermedit snails, they were in very dense cluster almost like carpet, somewhat soft to the touch. But damnit if they don't spread. Worse of all, whenever I'd rub up against them it'd get very itchy with little bumps.
Those are what I know as hydroids.

This is off melevs reef. Not like he's the Bible, but there are other random sources too. Whatever they are called, they are not harmful.

babefdd11a770a5b870db2e667b49674.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was looking at my Hammer before the lights cam on and was surprised to see this. Hydroids, right?

1c959a2cdb8a154baa72b7af1145b4a9.jpg

Hammer doesn't seem to be too bothered by them when the lights are on

e6d84e396e9e31e5dce9201c252d4c6e.jpg

So, should I try to remove them?

Those on the glass are harmless.

These are another colony of hydroids that I kept awhile back. They didn't do much and didn't bother anything (nothing around them).
hydroida_031808.jpg

Back