Our mission

Fritz salt

Interesting, I've been adding RO water to whatever saltwater is left in my barrel, then adding more salt to this diluted mixture. However, I notice that salt mix directions from manufacturers consistently say to add their salt to 0 TDS water. I wonder if this is hurting my mix. I have water changes to do this weekend, I think I will experiment with exhausting my supply of saltwater, then mixing the new batch with pure RO/DI and see if there is a difference in parameters in the mixing barrel.
Honestly I haven't read the directions for salinity (what I use), but like you often just add x gallons to my 105 gal mixing/storage container to fill it back up then add the corrrsponding amount of salt. Seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Same batch, now about 2 weeks after mixing. I'm still gonna stick w fritz, but just FYI. Does this happen with other salt mixes? Those using iorc, have you checked soon after mixing and then a few weeks later?
5086eceed160cd7074a3cafbbb2af9ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tested a 5-6 day old batch of IORC that is stored at 78F with a pump on 24/7. I also mix old saltwater mix with new batch (i.e. throw ro/di in with existing saltwater then add salt mix). I do always have a brown sludge caked up on my brute after a couple of mixes. I usually make 15-17 gallons per batch (so partial bag).

This is what I got.
1.025 (Milwaukee)
Alk: 6.8 dKh (Hanna)
Ca: 420-430 (Salifert)
Mg: 1260-1290 (Salifert)

Unfortunately, I don't know what the params were just after mixing. Will monitor next batch and will start with a clean and empty bucket.

I just measured my tank first and it read 9.2 dKh. Then I measured my SW reservoir. It's about 1/2 full so it was mixed several weeks ago but has had a pump in it 24/7. It read only 6.2 dKh. I guess it's no wonder I've been needing to dose. Kind of makes me curious now what the Ca and Mg are too.

I just measured my tank first and it read 9.2 dKh. Then I measured my SW reservoir. It's about 1/2 full so it was mixed several weeks ago but has had a pump in it 24/7. It read only 6.2 dKh. I guess it's no wonder I've been needing to dose. Kind of makes me curious now what the Ca and Mg are too.
Do all salts do this or just fritz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's the question we've been trying to get consensus on. I used to use both IO and RC but I never tested batches and never stored batches. I always mixed them and used them immediately.

Is there any sort of white material on the inside of your mixing vessel or on the pump you're using? Seems odd that it would drop that much that fast. Hell assuming you didn't store it, what's that say about what would happen if you toss it in the tank? Would you also get get alkalinity to drop? (or was it that low to start with?)

New bucket mixed.
upload_2017-6-1_13-25-37.png

Initial alk reading = 12. High, but not unexpected for IO. I'll test again in 24 hours and then next week to see where we end up at.

Back