got ethical husbandry?

Peter's Garage Tank

Well we have eradicated all the Aiptasia and Majano that we could find. Thanks to all for their input. We just grabbed some old garden snips and cut the rocks with anemones, being careful not to get too close to the little vermin.

Well we have eradicated all the Aiptasia and Majano that we could find. Thanks to all for their input. We just grabbed some old garden snips and cut the rocks with anemones, being careful not to get too close to the little vermin.
Be careful when working w rocks containing zoas and palys!

I bet it will too. Could probably let it evaporate down until dry and leave it for like two weeks and
Fill it back up and it would be alive still
Yup, there's a reason why I don't think it's overkill to bleach, then go through the muratic acid treatment on dry rock I knew had aiptasia on it. The regenerative capabilities of that critter would make Wolverine seem like a slow healer.

Today we are working on the frag tank that we will incorporate into the 100g later this summer. We will temporarily plumb it into the 60g. until the 100 is ready. The donor for the frag tank is this 30g. blue backed plex. tank. It is already drilled on the side with a 1 1/4" hole that will be the overflow. First step is going to be cutting it down to 11" tall.

frag tank 1.png

Used whatever blade was in the saw. Covered the table with a couple strips of masking tape so as not to scratch the tank too bad, set the fence at 11", and made 4 passes. Cut came out perfect. Peter used the jitterbug sander to smooth the edges. And done (for now). Had a couple of extra minutes before Peter left for Sacramento so we put water in it, put in the frag rack that he made, and then hooked the output from the Fluval on and voila - a cheap and easy frag tank. The Fluval sucks water from the 60g, which is pumped into the frag tank and then goes out the bulkhead back into the 60g.The one issue that I am noticing is that I need to put a larger hole/bulkhead in to get more overflow.
untitled44.png

Nothing says Sunday like puttering with the tanks. As we were setting up the frag tank, I accidentally dropped the Marineland LED into the water. It was not plugged in. I opened it up and let it dry out but it still is dead. Kind of a bummer considering all the work I put into getting a power cord. So now we are using a 65w Current fluorescent with one side 10,000k and the other actinic. Spent some time breaking up some of the big rocks so that we could get some of the Montis and other corals that were buried in the rocks into the light and release a clam that had grown wedged into a rock. With all the rock breaking, Peter is finding all kinds of corals to frag into the new tank. The soft corals and SPS seem to be doing great in the 65g.
working.png

Yeah getting that IP65/IP67 rating requires quite a bit of extra cost involved, and you'd really be hard pressed to find many pieces of equipment which have them

Well in the last couple of days we have pulled at least 20 Aiptasia out. As I look at the tank, there are tiny ones sprouting all over the 150#s of live rock that I picked up. We counted over 30. What is next?? I guess I should buy a couple of Peppermint Shrimp? There are also Bristle worms living in it. I really want to get these pests taken care of before we transition to the 100g. HELP!!!!

Back