got ethical husbandry?

Fritz salt

I'm starting to set up a water station in my garage. I've seen how most people use the industrial containers with only small access holes on top (they look more professional!), but I decided to go with 55g brutes because I want to be able to clean them more frequently/easily, partly because of this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This situation is interesting. I bought my first box of fritz a little before the coral farmers market (of which Fritz was a key sponsor). I remember having an email conversation with Steve Tyree and I told him I bought a box and he responded and said that I should use it shortly after mixing it. He didn't say why so I asked the Fritz rep at the cfm and he said it was completely fine to store and use it in the manor I am.

I plan on mixing up my next batch and testing it when first made and see if it starts high and drops. If it does then I'll clean my barrel and do the same to see if it continues to loose alk or if cleaning the container has anything to do with it.

This situation is interesting. I bought my first box of fritz a little before the coral farmers market (of which Fritz was a key sponsor). I remember having an email conversation with Steve Tyree and I told him I bought a box and he responded and said that I should use it shortly after mixing it. He didn't say why so I asked the Fritz rep at the cfm and he said it was completely fine to store and use it in the manor I am.

I plan on mixing up my next batch and testing it when first made and see if it starts high and drops. If it does then I'll clean my barrel and do the same to see if it continues to loose alk or if cleaning the container has anything to do with it.
I don't think cleaning the container has anything to do with. I'll test my 3 day old water tomorrow. Container was clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My container was brand new, so it was a virgin nsw mix. But mixing clean without sludge is really important to me.

I'm starting to set up a water station in my garage. I've seen how most people use the industrial containers with only small access holes on top (they look more professional!), but I decided to go with 55g brutes because I want to be able to clean them more frequently/easily, partly because of this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I do have some difficulty cleaning out my 50g container because I can't reach the bottom from the top opening. So, I've now resorted to using muriatic acid which does a great job without any scrubbing.

I would like some feedback on this issue. When I was using instant ocean I usually add one bag for 50gal and a few cups more for my 55gal storage tank to reach 25ppm. Now I seem to use much more fritz salt to reach 25ppm. Also, when I put the two bags of salt, instant ocean and fritz, side by side to make a 50 gal, the fritz salt is less. What gives? Anyone noticing the same issue?

Because of this thread I kept some leftover Fritz saltwater in a closed, clean 5g bucket (full) for 1.5 weeks after the initial mixing, and measured the alk immediately after opening the bucket lid and it was still 8.4 dKH. My plan was that if the alk had dropped I would airate the water and measure again. Aside from the first 24 hours after mixing this salt when parameters are still settling down, I don't see alk changes for up to 1.5 weeks whether it's 20g in an open circulated container or 5g in a closed container. I haven't tried keeping saltwater longer than that though.

Because of this thread I kept some leftover Fritz saltwater in a closed, clean 5g bucket (full) for 1.5 weeks after the initial mixing, and measured the alk immediately after opening the bucket lid and it was still 8.4 dKH. My plan was that if the alk had dropped I would airate the water and measure again. Aside from the first 24 hours after mixing this salt when parameters are still settling down, I don't see alk changes for up to 1.5 weeks whether it's 20g in an open circulated container or 5g in a closed container. I haven't tried keeping saltwater longer than that though.

I really think it depends on the mixing container cleanness cause if I power wash the brute I don't notice any alk drops.

I would like some feedback on this issue. When I was using instant ocean I usually add one bag for 50gal and a few cups more for my 55gal storage tank to reach 25ppm. Now I seem to use much more fritz salt to reach 25ppm. Also, when I put the two bags of salt, instant ocean and fritz, side by side to make a 50 gal, the fritz salt is less. What gives? Anyone noticing the same issue?
You mean 35 ppt? Salts can be different densities btw

Does anyone know of any air tight lids for Brute containers? Or a source for a gasket that size?

Those with large water containers, are yours airtight and don't have the alk drop issue?

This is interesting... https://byo.com/hops/item/1883-build-a-budget-big-fermenter-projects

"Like most plastic containers — including the typical brew bucket — your Brute fermenter will never be 100% airtight. This isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned, as I've had 3- and 4-week primary ferments in buckets with no oxidation whatsoever. But there are steps we can take to make the Brute fermenter a bit more airtight than a stock unit.

The easiest way to improve the seal of the lid is to apply a medium coat of food-grade lubricant (ie: "keg lube") to the rim of the fermenter itself. Couple this with some wood clamps to hold the lid down tighter, and you can get a pretty darn tight seal. A set of belt clamps can also be used to tighten down the lid."

Figure05.jpg

Does anyone know of any air tight lids for Brute containers? Or a source for a gasket that size?

Those with large water containers, are yours airtight and don't have the alk drop issue?
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. If anything you need to aerate your water before mixing to get rid of any excess co2. I forget why it builds up, sure a google search can fill you in

You will have issues with drawing water if its airtight.

I drilled small holes in mine just so the water flows out smoothly.

I have cleaned my Brute before, but it's a bit scratched up and might have some residue in there. I will try with a brand new spare Brute I have to see if it solves the issue. The airtight thing is after it would be mixed, and I mix in a standalone Brute just for storage, so no fittings used.

You can't really compare if you are measuring by volume. The volumes may be different depending on settling, the formulation and especially if any of the salts are hydrates. If you really want to compare, then you would need to do it by weight.

I was wondering whether the 200 gal box actually makes 200 gal saltwater at 35ppm. I have been hearing mix messages and some said 175 gal.

Back