Cali Kid Corals

Lime green algae?

L/B Block

Supporting Member
What is this? Should I be concerned?
It's lime and bright. It does not look like hair algae fortunately.

The hermits aren't touching it. Snails are questionable.

TIA
Lawrence & Betsy
3f495a3591ca1bb4115fd86a2dae50ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the usual algae that shows up on rocks before coralline really takes over. How old's the tank and is this a new thing? Any other changes?
This is fairly new-last few days. No other changes in tank per se except another diatom bloom -being dealt with snails & hermits. Tank was restarted in January and fish/coral added in..March or April?

But coraline algae is a good thing-right? And should I scrub with toothbrush or simply leave it?
Thanks

If it bothers you try shutting the lights off to the tank for three days. That will get rid of it and the diatoms. However, whatever the issue is that's causing the diatoms may mean they come back slowly.

If it bothers you try shutting the lights off to the tank for three days. That will get rid of it and the diatoms. However, whatever the issue is that's causing the diatoms may mean they come back slowly.

The lime algae doesn't really bother me per se-I was more curious to whether it could be detrimental to the tank in some way.
But I can shut the lights off for a couple days

Yes -- it's what you think it is. Take care of it before it spreads. I'd pull that plug out and slice off any section completely with the algae. You can do it with a pair of bone cutters or the like. Just do it outside the tank.

If you are willing to keep a fox face, you will never have to worry about bubble algae or any macroalgae. In my tank bubble algae shows up randomly but as soon as it is visible enough, it is gone the next day.

Magnificent gets big. One spot fox face, the one I have, only top out at 7".
I've seen some at least 7", and fat. They don't swim a ton, but in a tank that's 18" front to back not counting the overflow I'd say it's not the best fit. Not saying it can't be done, just saying not the best idea imo

I've seen some at least 7", and fat. They don't swim a ton, but in a tank that's 18" front to back not counting the overflow I'd say it's not the best fit. Not saying it can't be done, just saying not the best idea imo

Interesting thought! L just tanked the plug out for the moment. We are realizing we might want to rethink a longer term QT solution. I may try to remove the bubbles... for now, it's holding.

Back