Our mission

Chiller dilemma

I'm surprised your water temp didn't go down more with the fan on it.

Unfortunately, my garage is the opposite of Vincent's...hotter than outside. Fans alone have been able to keep water temps from rising above 83. With the chiller plumbed today, I have been able to keep a constant of 81. I am lucky I do Bikram "Hot" Yoga, so my body is used to 90 to 100 garage heat when I work on my tanks :cool:

All about stability. Seen plenty of tanks at 83 doing fine

Yes, that's what I understand. Keeping temps a little high during the summer to avoid large swings. Teco chiller says 80 and Apex says 81. I finally got everything set to vary no more than 1 degree. BTW, Mike, the montis and acros you gave me are doing wonderfully. The Bali Slimer is spreading onto the frag rock. PE like crazy. The Sunset Monti has grown over the entire tile. How is that Maroon Clown in your frag tank? Find a new home for it? I got 2 juveniles in my SPS tank and they paired up. No other fish for them to beat up.

It takes 8,000 BTU to evaporate 1 gallon of water.
A 1/4 HP chiller is 3,000 BTU/hour (varies).
So you can measure your ATO rate per hour, and roughly tell how much difference a chiller versus fans would make.

ALSO:
Having a hot garage is not as bad as you think.
Water evaporates better in hot air and it can store more water vapor before saturating.
So while it is bad for making things hot in general, don't assume evaporative fan cooling will not work.

Yes, that's what I understand. Keeping temps a little high during the summer to avoid large swings. Teco chiller says 80 and Apex says 81. I finally got everything set to vary no more than 1 degree. BTW, Mike, the montis and acros you gave me are doing wonderfully. The Bali Slimer is spreading onto the frag rock. PE like crazy. The Sunset Monti has grown over the entire tile. How is that Maroon Clown in your frag tank? Find a new home for it? I got 2 juveniles in my SPS tank and they paired up. No other fish for them to beat up.
Nice man! I paired up that clown, she was genevas. Geneva was stoked that I was able to catch and remove her. She was a bully. Made another marroon in a clients tank her new biatch.

Back