got ethical husbandry?

Mike and Ashley's 150g reef tank (our first)

Ones of these will do wonders

8e4a90b95cb23d4b1a906db5dc4f31cb.jpg

What is that fan called? And where can I get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input so far. I just returned from scuzy's (thanks!) to look at the Mitras. Very nice lights. He also had an AP700 running next to it, so that was good to see side by side as opposed to running between shops (which I have already done).

Good coverage on the Mitras and still some shimmer. I would need 3 units to mimic the distribution scuzy has. Good that he has them over a 24" wide tank like mine to evaluate. Difficult to see if there was any disco effect with his black sand, but given the tight spacing on the LEDs in each cluster, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Can anyone confirm seeing the Mitras over white sand which would make the disco effect easier to see?

So far I am leaning towards the Mitras over the other LED only choices; would really love to see an Aurora hybrid in person before I make a decision. Will need to soon though, given I plan to move the tank into position pretty soon and won't be able to get behind it to mount lighting brackets if going LED. With the Aurora, I would ceiling hang it as there just doesn't look like an other good option and styling-wise, I think brackets on it may look out of place.

Another question, we have hardwood floors and we don't want then scratched by the tank stand. Has anyone put their stand on something (thin sheet of hard plastic, thin yoga mat, etc) to avoid possible floor damage? Also, how do you all level your tank on hard flooring without messing up the floor - pounding shims under it while in place isn't going to happen if I am to sleep in the house anytime soon :)

What kind of wood floor is it? Do you know if it is a floating floor or if it's nailed down or glued down? Does it have a wood or concrete subfloor? If you don't want to shim it then you'll need to scribe the bottom of the stand to the floor. I prefer this to shims anyway since there is 100% contact with the floor and stand. I asked about your flooring because if there is any gaps or voids between the flooring and the structure then when water is added then it will sink further down in those areas and your scribing will be meaningless. Ideally the floor will be a glued down floor over a concrete subfloor. Another thing to note is that laminate and prefinished flooring will have an aluminum oxide finish that is extremely durable and can handle shims. Just try not to hit the floor with the hammer when you're pounding them in.

Flagg37,

It is an engineered hardwood tongue and groove floor over a concrete slab - it is floating and is not nailed or glued down. I just put a 4' long level on the floor where the tank will be and the floor itself it is awfully level - which is a good sign.

If I put the stand on the floor and it is level and I don't need shims, thoughts on sticking a 1/8" thick yoga mat under the stand to protect the flooring? I put such a mat under my sump to reduce any focal stress points on the acrylic.

Thanks!

I wouldn't put a yoga mat under your tank. You're liable to have the tank there for years. Who knows how the yoga mat will hold up, and probably will hold moisture more easily under it and damage your wood in a worse way. And if it starts to deteriorate with time you won't be able to get rid of it easily. I would leave it as it is designed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We put our 100 gallon on wheels. It is great when I need to get behind the tank or we need to move it around. If I didn't put wheels, I would probably use felt squares so that in an emergency I could slide the tank and stand without scratching the floor.

Back