High Tide Aquatics

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

Did a round of PAR measurement of the new light setup. Pretty much what around what I expected.

Light is running at about 60%
250-300 at the top
100-120 at the sand bed

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.23.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.23.51 PM.png

Should measure out to the edges where the light falls off. Looks like your sandbed measurements are right below the lights. Try it on the edge of the tank, where you have some of the corals situated.

Should measure out to the edges where the light falls off. Looks like your sandbed measurements are right below the lights. Try it on the edge of the tank, where you have some of the corals situated.

I didn't bother measure the extreme left/right because that is where I shove stuff that will survive zombie apocalypse :).

Got my first bit of SPS warfare. The orange monti plate from @Flagg37 is creeping up next to the red planet from @tankguy . Some sort of white fuzzy stuff showed up in the middle. I think the red planet is losing, the flesh on that side is gone.

What to do? Cut the monti back a little with bone cutter?

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 1.21.48 PM.png

Wow, I've never seen that white fuzzy stuff before. Usually don't they just grow over the top of each other and out compete it for light?

Plating montis are also harder to position though, as they can shade everything beneath them. While I agree that a red planet is more interesting and pleasing to the eye, it is also easier to move the main frag elsewhere where it can start a new home. So you can keep cutting back the monti, or get rid of it entirely, or just move the red planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you're seeing there is the mesenterial filaments from the monti. The monti is basically expelling its guts to sting and consume the red planet there. You typically see the mesenterial filaments when you're feeding and it's basically the same thing. Here's the mesenterial filament from my purple slimer when it fell off the rock and was pressed against the glass. It's clearing the area for encrustation and in your case, that just happens to be the red planet.

purple_slimer_mesenterialclearance_042417.jpg

What you're seeing there is the mesenterial filaments from the monti. The monti is basically expelling its guts to sting and consume the red planet there. You typically see the mesenterial filaments when you're feeding and it's basically the same thing. Here's the mesenterial filament from my purple slimer when it fell off the rock and was pressed against the glass. It's clearing the area for encrustation and in your case, that just happens to be the red planet.

Amazing.

That macros focus! Sweet picture.

Where did you get these? It seems like not too many have healthy dendros.

We got them online through aquasd.

Weekend tank activities:

With the heat rising again and my house AC still broken, I added a fan to help with cooling.

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.16.36 PM.png

This roughly bring my tank temperature to two degrees under room temp (usually it is one degree over room temp)

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.19.14 PM.png

Added two fishes Sat night, a yellow blenny

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.16.54 PM.png

And a Sargassum Trigger

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.24.21 PM.png

The trigger was a little bit smaller than my yellow tang. The tang was harassing the trigger endlessly Sat night. It kept coming over to where the trigger was hiding and attacking it with its tail. I put my clamp in front of cave. That sorta halted the aggression a little because the tang was scared of the clamp.

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.29.30 PM.png

By Sunday morning, the trigger was out and about and eating mysis really well. The tang still harassing occasionally but it didn't seem to mind or even bother hiding. So I thought all was well.

Monday morning, I found the trigger dried up behind the tank. It must have gotten chased around and jumped. It didn't seem to have a darting personality at all.

Expensive lesson learned. The next attempt of new introduction I probably would need to either catch the yellow and jail it or jail the new guy for a while.

Back