Jestersix

Chloramine RO/DI

Yeah I know you tested at the tap, you also said the RO/DI read zero, which I assume means you tested after it was completely filtered. What I'm saying is unhook right after your prefilters, and test some of the water there to make sure you're getting it all with your carbon blocks before it gets to the RO membrane where it could possible do damage.

Tested after carbon block before membrane and after DI. Both zero. Here are the sticks from the test.

db06fb6cdc8e68ad805c6899112a89cf.jpg

So if I got a chloramine monster, I should put it after the sediment filter before the two carbon blocks? Or after the carbon before the RO? I've got plenty of psi, do not run a booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok did some research. BRS does not specify besides saying "before your RODI." Tkeracer on reefcentral says:

"The chloramine monster goes before any other carbon block. To do otherwise is a waste of time and money. You aren't protecting it... it is protecting the rest of your system. Putting it last is like having the president on a motorcycle leading the caravan and the secret service riding in the armored cars behind him.

My setup is....

.5micron sed > Booster Pump > Chlorplus 20BB (chloramine monster) > Chlorplus 10 >, Chlorplus 10 > .5micron Carbon > RO > RO > DI > DI "

For sure I would put the monster after pre-filter and before the next (finer) carbon block. That's part of why I didn't get it, since I don't have any tubing to splice into at that junction, the first 2 stages are directly connected in my system, though there are tubes connecting all the other stages.

The other reasons I didn't get it are that it is huge and awkward to fit where I have my RODI, and because it seems like overkill and unnecessary for a home system after getting more feedback from you guys, reading online, and testing my water. That said, I was close to getting it anyway as a hopefully definitive and long-term solution to the chloramine question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure I like that analogy at all with the president, doesn't make much sense. I would thing the Monster is the most important part of your setup, as well as being the most expensive (more so than even the RO membranes), so if it's the most important part. Why would you put that in front of everything? I would rather put the secret service, armored cars and other "more disposable" things in front of it.

If you swap carbon blocks in front of the monster, then any chloramines that pass through the carbon blocks after all "they're not as effective, blah blah blah" get gobbled up by the monster after. Plus you have the added benefit of the other carbon blocks absorbing other stuff before it gets to the monster, so that the monster can be used for the single purpose of removing chloramines from your system. Plus anything that gets by your sediment filter could get trapped by the cheaper carbon blocks and not prematurely clog up the monster. The way I look at it everything is going to get filtered out regardless of order, so it "protecting your system" seems a bit much, but would you rather replace $10-15 filters more often or would you rather replace a $100+ filter?

Either way, I would put a flow meter across it to know when you're reaching the point of replacement, also would tee off the output before the RO filter and periodically check the chlorine level with some cheap test strips.

Lastly, I'm not sure what that guys water quality is from the pipe, but it really is not helping promote that massive filter as a particularly useful one when you have 3 other carbon filters behind it.

Not sure I like that analogy at all with the president, doesn't make much sense. I would thing the Monster is the most important part of your setup, as well as being the most expensive (more so than even the RO membranes), so if it's the most important part. Why would you put that in front of everything? I would rather put the secret service, armored cars and other "more disposable" things in front of it.

If you swap carbon blocks in front of the monster, then any chloramines that pass through the carbon blocks after all "they're not as effective, blah blah blah" get gobbled up by the monster after. Plus you have the added benefit of the other carbon blocks absorbing other stuff before it gets to the monster, so that the monster can be used for the single purpose of removing chloramines from your system. Plus anything that gets by your sediment filter could get trapped by the cheaper carbon blocks and not prematurely clog up the monster. The way I look at it everything is going to get filtered out regardless of order, so it "protecting your system" seems a bit much, but would you rather replace $10-15 filters more often or would you rather replace a $100+ filter?

Either way, I would put a flow meter across it to know when you're reaching the point of replacement, also would tee off the output before the RO filter and periodically check the chlorine level with some cheap test strips.

Lastly, I'm not sure what that guys water quality is from the pipe, but it really is not helping promote that massive filter as a particularly useful one when you have 3 other carbon filters behind it.
This is helpful. Maybe if the chloramine monster was put after the rodi that analogy would make more sense. But we're basically talking about what order to place the carbon blocks. It's much easier for me to put the chloramine monster after the carbon as opposed to before it...so I might just do it that way.

Does anyone have a flow meter setup?

I bought a flowmeter ages ago, but never set it up unfortunately, double unfortunate is that it's now lost in the piles of garage garbage (ahem stuff for future projects). However if you have an Apex you can get the FMM module, and the 1/4" module that uses John Guest slip fittings can easily plug inline, the 1/4" one is only like $20 (but the FMM is $100 IIRC)

Well if you have a FMM system in general, then spending an extra $20 for a 1/4" flow meter that easily can be spliced between the 1/4" hoses of your system it's not a horrible purchase. But yeah buying a FMM module + the flow meter is a bit overkill.

Back