Cali Kid Corals

Quarantine tank setup?

Agreed about the time frame. For something like a bta that has the potential to really move about, putting it in 1st and let it find a happy place then placing your corals would work well.

I have 4 btas on a rock. They've gotten pretty big and it's a little crowded. 3 stay put but the 4th will move around a little.

My H. Magnifica has stayed in the spot I placed it.

The LTA has moved up a little due to light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. All of us really want an anemone/clown pair - divers, go figure :). Just looking for one anemone and then mostly LPS and some compatible fish.

Some private input was also to get the anemone early, let it walk around and find a happy place, and then place my coral based on where it stops instead of having it wipe out any coral as it roams about. Seeing the tank is just rocks and sand and I don't anticipate adding a bunch of stuff quickly (which gives me time to get my feet wet managing proper parameters and "issues"), I could go that route. Do these anemones move around after they find a reasonable home?

I have 2 WAV pumps and will soon have 3 LX7206 Mitras (tank is 5 x 2 x 2), so I should have enough water flow and light for even a high light demand anemone, depending on where it "lands" of course.

I tracked down Derrick (D-Nak) on Reef Central and sent him a message. Thanks.

Thanks. All of us really want an anemone/clown pair - divers, go figure :). Just looking for one anemone and then mostly LPS and some compatible fish.

Some private input was also to get the anemone early, let it walk around and find a happy place, and then place my coral based on where it stops instead of having it wipe out any coral as it roams about. Seeing the tank is just rocks and sand and I don't anticipate adding a bunch of stuff quickly (which gives me time to get my feet wet managing proper parameters and "issues"), I could go that route. Do these anemones move around after they find a reasonable home?

I have 2 WAV pumps and will soon have 3 LX7206 Mitras (tank is 5 x 2 x 2), so I should have enough water flow and light for even a high light demand anemone, depending on where it "lands" of course.

I tracked down Derrick (D-Nak) on Reef Central and sent him a message. Thanks.

Depends on the nem. I had a BTA that was happy for around 6 months after settling in. Got some clarkiis that called it home for a month after that and it still stayed put. But by month 7-8 of having it in my tank, it was on the move. I've heard BTAs are the worst in this respect; they tend to be walkers.

i have all my btas on an island seperated from the rest of my rockwork to keep them isolated for that reason, they generally dont cross the sand. one did one time though and it was pita to move back

i have all my btas on an island seperated from the rest of my rockwork to keep them isolated for that reason, they generally dont cross the sand. one did one time though and it was pita to move back

You shouldn't have move it back. Now it will tell the other nem what it saw on the "other side". Duuuuuude, it is soooo much nicer over there.

I don't get the whole wait for a year thing. Never have. It's more about your ability to maintain stability. Your tank water will never be more pristine than after you fully cycle a tank. I think the whole wait <enter time frame> is more about your time commitment and willingness to find proven/data backed solutions when problems do arise If you don't already know the answer from experience.

If it was me and I really wanted an anemone, do the research about its ideal living conditions, make sure that fits your tank and roll with it. I would venture to guess anyone telling you not to put an anemone in yet would be hard pressed to give you a data backed answer on why it's a bad idea.

You may encounter mistakes (mine was having an under nourished tank), but most things are fixable and can be chalked up as a learning mistake (though some are more painful than others).
I also agree with Randy on this. It is about the time commitment and monitoring most parameters closely in the early days and life of a tank.

As with some of the other guys here, my RBTAs don't walk too much either.

Thanks all! Great input.

FYI - Derrick is in the process of setting up a new tank, so he has very limited fish available for the next 6 months.

Back