Our mission

Raccoon Butterfly sick

I think that you can continually dose Prime every 24-48 hours and it will bind to the ammonia and hold it in an inert state for a short time, then you can dose again and repeat until the bacteria can handle the load.

I think that you can continually dose Prime every 24-48 hours and it will bind to the ammonia and hold it in an inert state for a short time, then you can dose again and repeat until the bacteria can handle the load.
That's what the manufacturer says.

I got the fish from Petco. I guess it is not a right place, right?
Actually when I took the fish home in the first day I noticed that one of his eyes is cloudy but could not find any solution in internet.

Anyhow I just added a bottle of Biospira! Hopefully everyone else survive. They look happy and eat well.

Thank you guys for your feedbacks.

How much prime should I add? My tank is 125 Gallons. on the bottle says just a lid for 100 gallons?

Yeah, Petco is no bueno. Do not buy anything from there for fish except for tanks during the $1 per gal sale, especially if it's alive. Where do you live? There are a lot of better stores around.

Yeah, Petco is no bueno. Do not buy anything from there for fish except for tanks during the $1 per gal sale, especially if it's alive. Where do you live? There are a lot of better stores around.
Yeah I think you are right! I was just lucky tonight and they refunded me this time but I think they do not usually do for salt water fish.

I live in South San Jose. I searched online and Find these stores:
Neptune
Aqua Lab
King

First two look a little expensive but King is cheaper. Do not know the quality though!

Go to Neptune and don't look back. If it's too expensive for you then you aren't committed to having succes and or aren't In The right hobby.
Getting refunded is the least of your worries. Introducing pests or diseases is way worse than losing a bit of cash. Contributing to a poor chain of custody business is no good either.
Helping pull living things from the ocean that have little to no chance of living sucks.

Go to Neptune and don't look back. If it's too expensive for you then you aren't committed to having succes and or aren't In The right hobby.
Getting refunded is the least of your worries. Introducing pests or diseases is way worse than losing a bit of cash. Contributing to a poor chain of custody business is no good either.
Helping pull living things from the ocean that have little to no chance of living sucks.
Sure you are right! Since now just Neptune. I was afraid to buy something too expensive in beginning and it dies because of my lack of experience.
Well after my tank cycled completely I will go to Neptune for sure!

Sure you are right! Since now just Neptune. I was afraid to buy something too expensive in beginning and it dies because of my lack of experience.
Well after my tank cycled completely I will go to Neptune for sure!
Buying one "expensive" fish from a good store that will live is cheaper and more fun than multiple "cheap" fish that die.

SamHa, You should become a member of the Bay Area Reefers! It is a great group of people that are always willing to help and are very generous. I would not be able to have any success with our 4 saltwater tanks without this group of people.

SamHa, You should become a member of the Bay Area Reefers! It is a great group of people that are always willing to help and are very generous. I would not be able to have any success with our 4 saltwater tanks without this group of people.

Plus you get a discount at Neptune's (among others) as a BAR member.

Sure, I would love too.
How does it work? I thought by signing in in this forum I am already a member :)

I don't like generically stating a certain chain is bad.

Petco, Neptune, and everyone else gets fish from the same wholesalers.
Any store can end up with a fish caught with Cyanide that will almost certainly die.
Any store can have good or bad employees.
And it varies a lot over the years as employees and owners change.
Currently, our Union City Petco is better than a lot of dedicated fish stores I have seen.

Key is to watch the fish and those in tanks next to it for a bit before you buy.
Faded? Pale or Red blotches? White specks? How does it react seeing you?
Swimming on the surface?

That said, when a particular store is GOOD, then I am all for passing that along.
Most BAR members really like Neptune's.

I don't like generically stating a certain chain is bad.

Petco, Neptune, and everyone else gets fish from the same wholesalers.
Any store can end up with a fish caught with Cyanide that will almost certainly die.
Any store can have good or bad employees.
And it varies a lot over the years as employees and owners change.
Currently, our Union City Petco is better than a lot of dedicated fish stores I have seen.

Key is to watch the fish and those in tanks next to it for a bit before you buy.
Faded? Pale or Red blotches? White specks? How does it react seeing you?
Swimming on the surface?

That said, when a particular store is GOOD, then I am all for passing that along.
Most BAR members really like Neptune's.
Yeah still my dogface puffer from Petco looks fine. Maybe if I have noticed my raccoon cloudy eye in the store It would not ended up like this.
Since now I will be more careful buying from any store.

Back