Cali Kid Corals

Weigh in.....

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
The new tank arrives this weekend and since I'm itching to do something to get started I'm planning on a possible stocking list for this tank. The tank is 100 gallon 30X30X30 cube. It will be almost completely SPS -- sticks and chalices. I have another tank close to where this one is going hat has the usual array of tangs, clowns, etc. So on this tank I want to go another route. Primarily smaller fast moving fish. Wrasses, Anthias, Chromis, etc. Plus I like the idea of lots of wrasses working for a living. I'm going to hedge toward more peaceful species if possible as well. Keep in mind that as this tank matures I don't mind over-stocking i a little. It will be all SPS and I skim heavily and do a good size weekly water change.

So here's my first stab of possible candidates. Weigh in with thoughts, advice on the route you'd go and any fish I should look into. I'd love to see a full list if you want to play the "stock the tank" game.

Here's the list of candidates:

Non-wrasse:
Potter's Angel
Ruby Red Dragonet X3 (or 4)
Show piece Harelquin Tusk for my one larger fish?
Blue Reef Chromis (X3 or 4) for a little shoaling action
Bartlett or Lyretail anthis x3
Borbonius anthias
Yellow candy hogfish
Pacific Redstripe Hogfish
Royal Gramma

Wrasses:
Flame wrasse
McCoskin's Flasher
Carpenter
Cleaner
Mystery
Exquisite fairy
Scott's Fairy
Whipfin Fairy
Ruby Red Fairy
Leapard
Black Leopard

Last edited:
I lost my McCosker's Wrasse when he jumped out of the tank. Most of the top was covered and he jumped out the slit where the filter return was. I still miss him, such a beautiful fish.

So a couple of issues that I see.
  1. Potter's angel (or any dwarf angel for that matter). This is a hit and miss depending on the individual. Some will leave corals alone, others not so much. Also, regardless if they don't eat anything, keep in mind that they will ensure that you will have little to no daytime polyp extension. You actually have a better chance with something from the Genicanthus sp. group or heck even a regal angelfish since you're going sps with chalices only.
  2. Harlequin tusk/hogfish. Inverts such as crabs and shrimps are on their menu. You can feed heavily, but that probably won't help. You can sub the hogs out for something that has a similar shape and markings with basslets (swissguard, swalesi, candy cane).
Other considerations:
  • Copper banded butterflyfish (C. marginalus followed by C. rostratus). On the odd chance that you introduce aiptasia into your tank, this would help. Can be added later.
  • Algae/stargazer blenny. Helps to have something that munches on algae that might pop up since you won't have any tangs in this tank. Can be added later.
  • Vanderbilt chromis. Overlooked species that does well in a small group. Bit hardier and should last longer than those reef chromis.
  • Sunburst anthias (S. latus). Prefer this species over borbonius. Also easier to source and often paired.
  • Cleaner wrasse. Often hard to get to feed, so if you attempt one, go with one from ORA that's captive bred.
  • Mystery wrasse. One of the more aggressive of all wrasses. I would throw him in last of all your fish, or not put one in and go with more flashers.
  • Tail-spot wrasse (H. melanurus). One of the most desirable wrasses in a sps tank. Great for pests with a mellow demeanor.

So a couple of issues that I see.
  1. Potter's angel (or any dwarf angel for that matter). This is a hit and miss depending on the individual. Some will leave corals alone, others not so much. Also, regardless if they don't eat anything, keep in mind that they will ensure that you will have little to no daytime polyp extension. You actually have a better chance with something from the Genicanthus sp. group or heck even a regal angelfish since you're going sps with chalices only.
  2. Harlequin tusk/hogfish. Inverts such as crabs and shrimps are on their menu. You can feed heavily, but that probably won't help. You can sub the hogs out for something that has a similar shape and markings with basslets (swissguard, swalesi, candy cane).
Other considerations:
  • Copper banded butterflyfish (C. marginalus followed by C. rostratus). On the odd chance that you introduce aiptasia into your tank, this would help. Can be added later.
  • Algae/stargazer blenny. Helps to have something that munches on algae that might pop up since you won't have any tangs in this tank. Can be added later.
  • Vanderbilt chromis. Overlooked species that does well in a small group. Bit hardier and should last longer than those reef chromis.
  • Sunburst anthias (S. latus). Prefer this species over borbonius. Also easier to source and often paired.
  • Cleaner wrasse. Often hard to get to feed, so if you attempt one, go with one from ORA that's captive bred.
  • Mystery wrasse. One of the more aggressive of all wrasses. I would throw him in last of all your fish, or not put one in and go with more flashers.
  • Tail-spot wrasse (H. melanurus). One of the most desirable wrasses in a sps tank. Great for pests with a mellow demeanor.

Great feedback. Thanks!

I like these:

Non-wrasse:
Bellus
Blue Reef Chromis (X5) for a little shoaling action
Bartlett or Lyretail anthis x3
Borbonius anthias

Wrasses:
McCoskin's Flasher
Carpenter
Cleaner
Exquisite fairy
Scott's Fairy
Whipfin Fairy
Ruby Red Fairy
Leapard
Black Leopard

I want one of these!
download (1).jpg

Definitely Genicanthus Bellus. If you have enough space, maybe even a pair. Here was mine back in 2008:

2871445037_140f491645.jpg

2872277616_6588ccc91b.jpg

Never picks on corals, though needs plenty of feeding. Did well in my tank with anthias. There's a chance the female bellus will change to a male if there isn't a male around, usually when they change they look pretty ugly for a long time.

Back