Reef nutrition

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

I just don't get all the rimless hype. What a disaster.tons of evaporation, and endless fish jerky. Personally, I really don't like the look of dead fish.

Hype? To me this is an aesthetic choice with well understood risk factor. Like getting piercing, tattoo.

Mirrors are your friend. They work really well. The tangs attack it like a dummy.

Yeah I was about to put up a mirror, but come Sunday morning thing seems to have calmed down so I thought the worst is over and didn't do it. Rushing this introduction was a big mistake.

Hype? To me this is an aesthetic choice with well understood risk factor. Like getting piercing, tattoo.

Yeah I was about to put up a mirror, but come Sunday morning thing seems to have calmed down so I thought the worst is over and didn't do it. Rushing this introduction was a big mistake.
It's hyped up to be some fancy nice feature, but in reality it's like a hummer. Sure it looks cool to lots of people, jut so impractical and basically a bad idea imo.

Went to CFM, I didn't expect to buy anything as my tank is getting filled. I spent almost the entire time hangout chatting at BAR table and barely looked at the vendor. My wife came with my 5yo and she ended up doing more shopping and haggling than I ever intended. We left with:
Bunch of small frags: zoa, encinita, 2 rhodactis, a pink goni
AND a branching GSP, that's right, I paid for GSP

Last but not least...a bleeding apple scoly

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 3.19.52 PM.png

Finally installed my manifold v2.

1" pipe -> 1/2" tee for accessories -> valve -> 3/4" thread to output

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 1.50.03 PM.png

Swapped my stock nozzle for a random flow generator from VCA

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 1.50.19 PM.png

A video comparing the outputs

@Gablami gave me his full grown Solar Fairy Wrasse. With this addition, my tank break into a chase fest. The new wrasse chases the blenny (which went airborne many times in his dodge). My yellow tang stalk and chase the new wrasse with a passion.

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 3.13.58 PM.png

No damage was done from the chasing, but that make me nervous enough to make a net lid from BRS frame kit for now.

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 3.12.04 PM.png

With the lid in place, I'm taking another shot at adding a Sargassum Trigger. So here is #2

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 3.12.21 PM.png

Oh and I got this beaten up Firefish as a freebies. He seems to be adjusting and recovering well. He bounced off the lid 3 times in the first minute in the tank.

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 3.11.51 PM.png

Wow! your tank sounds like a big cage fight, I gonna grab some brews and head over to watch the action

The yellow tang is pretty funny in his stalking. He would go from his cave (right side of tank) to where the wrasse hang out (left side of tank) and try to "surprise" the wrasse. If the wrasse happen to face his direction on the final approach, he would abort and sulk back to his cave and reset then go again.

You seem to have a lot of aggression when adding new fish. Have you ever tried adding them when lights aren't off at night? That way they don't get punked right away at least.

You seem to have a lot of aggression when adding new fish. Have you ever tried adding them when lights aren't off at night? That way they don't get punked right away at least.

I'm adding new fish first into the acclimation box (as seen in the pic). After a few days and new fish is eating well, then I open the door and let it wander out at its own choosing. I leave the box in place for a few days in case it want to retreat back in.

It has been more than a week and my yellow has not stopped stalking the new wrasse.

And the new wrasse started chasing my blenny (why the blenny of out all the fishes? no clue) a week after it went in and got used to the lay of the land.

So ....

I'm not sure why, cause cirrhilabrus wrasses are generally peaceful, and he never chased anything in my tank. Just minded his own business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why, cause cirrhilabrus wrasses are generally peaceful, and he never chased anything in my tank. Just minded his own business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is peaceful to everyone except for the midas blenny, who isn't even remotely look like a wrasse. He would chase the blenny across the tank back into his little hole. He cruise around with my 6 lines and ignore the anthias twerking around.

It looks like you saw that thread on r2r about lids. There were some good ideas for us rimless guys that want the clean lines.

The BRS lid kit came out a bit better than I expected. Looking at the tank straight on it is almost not there. The netting however was a pain to work with and I couldn't get it perfectly straight (though I did this at 3 in the morning after some beer). The kit did come with plenty of extra net so I'll redo it sometime down the road.

I usually clean out my filter mesh sock every 3 days or so or it will start clogging and water would overflow and bypass the sock. Recently I increased feeding significantly due to new fish addition so I expected the sock to get clog up even quicker. But last night I checked after 5 days, the sock was still clean??? Inside the sock were a lot of big pods (amphipods?). I guess their population exploded and they have been eating stuff off my sock?

Back