Reef nutrition

BAR's Swap Bonus/Ultra Coral List

Zoas typically don't have lineage unless you can provide it and there's very few of those. There's just so many of them that goes through the store. That no-name zoa that you have there is a scarface. I've seen them in the $10 bin at Neptune before and I'd consider that on the same caliber as say PPE. I'm planning on bringing 10+ polyp frags of emeralds on fire.

Needle in the haystack is relatively easy to find and AC has been bringing in colonies of them for awhile now. The colonies are in the $35-40 range. Tyree's Mr.Pacman is one of the lineage pieces that you see that might still be floating around, which I would consider to be a bonus piece if lineaged.

I think the 2 color yumas was back from the day as Vincent mentioned, when they were still going for $75+. Feel free to toss any unknowns out there for consideration.

Faster than PM for sure, which is loads faster than pink panther. P.S. the test is being conducted with pearlberries in a friend's frag tank to see how the different mounting options are doing. We started that experiment many weeks ago. ;)

Zoas typically don't have lineage unless you can provide it and there's very few of those. There's just so many of them that goes through the store. That no-name zoa that you have there is a scarface. I've seen them in the $10 bin at Neptune before and I'd consider that on the same caliber as say PPE. I'm planning on bringing 10+ polyp frags of emeralds on fire.

Needle in the haystack is relatively easy to find and AC has been bringing in colonies of them for awhile now. The colonies are in the $35-40 range. Tyree's Mr.Pacman is one of the lineage pieces that you see that might still be floating around, which I would consider to be a bonus piece if lineaged.

I think the 2 color yumas was back from the day as Vincent mentioned, when they were still going for $75+. Feel free to toss any unknowns out there for consideration.

Faster than PM for sure, which is loads faster than pink panther. P.S. the test is being conducted with pearlberries in a friend's frag tank to see how the different mounting options are doing. We started that experiment many weeks ago. ;)

5 polyp PPE is on the bonus list. So, by that comparison, scarface would be on the list at 5 polyps? To be honest I'm not pushing the scarface to included on the list, it's just if things like bi-color torches and hammers and rasta and vamps are on the list, I just don't really get what makes it a "bonus" coral. All those can easily be had at any of the LFS.

heres my colony from 3 weeks ago, its bleaching in weird streaks. I moved it to my nano cube to see if it will recover. JW if it would be considered "bonus"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 6.12.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 6.12.34 PM.png
    557.5 KB · Views: 309
5 polyp PPE is on the bonus list. So, by that comparison, scarface would be on the list at 5 polyps? To be honest I'm not pushing the scarface to included on the list, it's just if things like bi-color torches and hammers and rasta and vamps are on the list, I just don't really get what makes it a "bonus" coral. All those can easily be had at any of the LFS.
I'm sure there are many, many corals that are not on the list, not because they shouldn't be but because there are so many out there to name. It's super easy to get one added to the list if you want to bring it. Just submit it and we'll discuss it. For transparency it's @Vhuang168, @Ibn, and myself that discuss what is on the list and I think we can be fairly lenient and understanding. We just want to try to keep a sense of value with each bonus/ultra coral. The whole point of the bonus round(s) is to fill the swap as much as possible with great corals. Remember it takes 3 bonus corals to get 1 bonus round ticket. Which means two of those bonus corals will be left on the table. There are some corals on the list that are on the lower end of the pricing scale and they may get removed next time around. Please don't think we're trying to keep something from you and lord this power over you.

heres my colony from 3 weeks ago, its bleaching in weird streaks. I moved it to my nano cube to see if it will recover. JW if it would be considered "bonus"
Unhealthy corals should not be submitted for the swap. We'll discuss that strain and if it's accepted and you can frag a large enough healthy portion then it would be.

Isn't retail price just a weighted combination all the other factors to determine real-time updated value, and therefore the best single determinant? If someone knew the retail prices like you guys seem to, it would be easiest to just set a threshold. I'm not trying to rock the boat since your system obviously works, but it just seems like the market value has already done this work for you and is transparent.

Isn't retail price just a weighted combination all the other factors to determine real-time updated value, and therefore the best single determinant? If someone knew the retail prices like you guys seem to, it would be easiest to just set a threshold. I'm not trying to rock the boat since your system obviously works, but it just seems like the market value has already done this work for you and is transparent.

Retail price is still only as good as what that shop thinks it can sell it for. I can find gold torch for $80 a head or $40 a head. If I can find it for $20 a head does it mean it comes off the list?

If I find a no name at a store that sells for $100 does it make the list? We can label as no name from store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the hardest and newest part of the swap crew to fill. Let's be thankful we have a couple coral nerds that are willing to step up and take care of this for us! Thanks Vincent and Eric and Jon!
Like they said, you want something on or off the list, let's hear why. This club is run in a democratic fashion and not only will we consider your input, but we welcome it.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are many, many corals that are not on the list, not because they shouldn't be but because there are so many out there to name. It's super easy to get one added to the list if you want to bring it. Just submit it and we'll discuss it. For transparency it's @Vhuang168, @Ibn, and myself that discuss what is on the list and I think we can be fairly lenient and understanding. We just want to try to keep a sense of value with each bonus/ultra coral. The whole point of the bonus round(s) is to fill the swap as much as possible with great corals. Remember it takes 3 bonus corals to get 1 bonus round ticket. Which means two of those bonus corals will be left on the table. There are some corals on the list that are on the lower end of the pricing scale and they may get removed next time around. Please don't think we're trying to keep something from you and lord this power over you.

I definitely think you guys are keeping something from me. Shady BAR members! ;)

I think my point is just the exact opposite of what you said, but I think our goal is one in the same and that's to have great coral atthe swap.

It's not I want to necessarily add something. I just didn't understand why some of the items on the list were there. For example:

- rasta
- vamp in drag
- emerald on fire
- 2-color yumas
- bi-color hammer
- bi-color torch
- bi-color frogspawn
- strawberry shortcake (tons of these were in $14.99 & $19.99 bin at Neptune)
- sunset mille was at Neptune for $14.99 and $199 as well
- red st thomas should prolly be bonus, not ultra. Neptune's has/had them for $50

Most of these are easily found at our LFS sponsors. Even worse though, removing these from the list would decrease my bonus frags that I can bring.

The idea is to reward you for bringing these. Even say they are easily found, not everyone can afford to pick up 3 $20 frags at 1 time. They can do that at the swap! Heck, they have a chance to pick up a $80 or $100 frag if for some reason no one pickes it at bonus round.

Remember that there is an Ultra list as well. This is usually where you can find the rarer higher priced coral.

The idea is to reward you for bringing these. Even say they are easily found, not everyone can afford to pick up 3 $20 frags at 1 time. They can do that at the swap! Heck, they have a chance to pick up a $80 or $100 frag if for some reason no one pickes it at bonus round.

Remember that there is an Ultra list as well. This is usually where you can find the rarer higher priced coral.

I'm bringing the frags regardless if they're bonus or not. I don't think that's what I'm trying to figure out here. I'm just trying figure out what constitutes pricey enough, rare enough, or lineaged-enough that it makes it on the list. But alas, I'm still at a lost. No biggy, I'll just fly with what you guys put on the list.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a regional swap that brings folks that might not be regulars in the Bay Area or in the region much. You'll see others attend from the other areas where some of these corals are very common, but some of these common corals to us might not be seen by others.

This is kind of similar to the DBTC swap that we did with Manhattan Reef forum members many years ago. Leng sy caps, Cali torts, and Tubbs blues were a big hit for them over there even thought it was being given away regularly through our DBTC program.

We can cut the list down big time, but it's in the spirit of being inclusive that some of these are included.

Back