High Tide Aquatics

Rodi low pressure trouble shooting

I need some help with my rodi system. I'm getting much lower pressure before my RO membranes based on inline pressure gauge. I have the 6 stage deluxe brs system. I added a chloramine monster after the carbon blocks so it is setup as:

1 micron sediment filter --> 1 micron carbon block --> 1 micron carbon block --> chloramine monster --> RO (x2 for 150g/d) --> dual DI canisters.

There is an auto shut off float valve installed.

Before this problem I could easily get pressures in the 80-100 psi range (attached to an outdoor hose bib that seems to high water pressure, no booster). Now I can barely top 20 psi.

I first bypassed the chloramine monster to see if that was the problem, and that didn't solve anything. I then switched out my sediment filter to a brand new filter. That also didn't change anything.

So I'm not sure what to do next. Should I take out my filters one by one to see where the hangup is? Could my pressure gauge be busted? Is my float valve auto shut off messing with things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was to say the sediment filter but you changed it. I would, one by one, remove the other filters, maybe one of them is clogged.

double check the gauge.
i recently had that problem, I (thought) i was getting 20 psi line pressure.
I ordered a booster pump to get my pressures up. After booster pump install, still low pressure. Bought a new gauge, BINGO! pressure jumped to 80 psi ( without booster running)

I took out my first carbon block, and turned it back on, and it went up to 80 easily. Phew, easy fix. Just need to replace my carbon block.

But brings up a related problem. Is my home water pressure too high? Recently starting to have my showerhead leak and my faucet leak. Reading the web, says home water pressures shouldn't be above 60...
faf189498761a0f740900f736a36f1c4.jpg

If you can move it, use the same pressure gauge on your input line before filters and just before your RO membranes. If pressure is low everywhere, borrow a gauge and compare. That data will tell you a lot about where the problem is (water supply pressure vs gauge broken vs clogged filters). If you can't move the gauge you can accomplish something similar by bypassing all the sediment/carbon filters by plugging the incoming water line into the gauge/RO input.

Was going to say carbon block but you beat me to it. My chlorplus 10 block will get clogged and lower pressure a ton like that after awhile even with a 1 micron sediment before it. That's one of the reasons I went with a different block before the chlorplus 10. I forget the brand and model, but it claims .5 micron, so it prevents the chlorplus from clogging. I assume clogging means spent anyways. They aren't rated for that much water through.

High pressure might damage the pipes; perhaps not the pipe itself but the joints? I'm sure those who have experience with plumbing will chime in.
One thing to check in the showerhead is the possible deposits, if you find some, might be a possibility your RO unit is being bombarded with such sediments as well thus requiring to change filters more often.
RO units have an optimal operation range, too little pressure or too high will cause the unit to plain fail at its purpose. When pressure is low, a booster pump will help but the booster pump itself needs a minimum pressure to operate.
Have a plumber check the pressure that comes into your home for peace of mind.

Was going to say carbon block but you beat me to it. My chlorplus 10 block will get clogged and lower pressure a ton like that after awhile even with a 1 micron sediment before it. That's one of the reasons I went with a different block before the chlorplus 10. I forget the brand and model, but it claims .5 micron, so it prevents the chlorplus from clogging. I assume clogging means spent anyways. They aren't rated for that much water through.
I shoulda known it could be carbon block but I thought they were rated for thousands of gallons. I have been making a lot of water these days and it's total water processed, not rodi output.

Mario, I got an $8 pressure gauge from amazon and will try to turn down the pressure myself.

double check the gauge.
i recently had that problem, I (thought) i was getting 20 psi line pressure.
I ordered a booster pump to get my pressures up. After booster pump install, still low pressure. Bought a new gauge, BINGO! pressure jumped to 80 psi ( without booster running)

If you don't need your booster pumplet me know and we can work out a deal. I do need one. :)

I took out my first carbon block, and turned it back on, and it went up to 80 easily. Phew, easy fix. Just need to replace my carbon block.

But brings up a related problem. Is my home water pressure too high? Recently starting to have my showerhead leak and my faucet leak. Reading the web, says home water pressures shouldn't be above 60...

80 psi is pretty high. Do you know if you have a regulator valve on your main? You can get one at Home Depot but it's not always super easy to install.

Yeah, high pressure can be problematic. Watch your sprinkler heads, those usually go bad pretty fast with high pressure. I had to install a regulator because my sprinkler heads and valves kept cracking or popping off.

Back