Our mission

Ashburn’s not so frugal 90g

Just got back from a 3 weeks absent and the tank was on autopilot, I was so scared to find out what is going to happen to my tank once I’m back. Much to my surprise that everything is alive and growing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I had to leave the country last minute and did tank upgrade in a rush. there's one thing I regretted not to do, is vinegar wash my tank, now there's this foggy look of my tank even blade can't remove those calcium deposit on the glass. anyone have idea how I can clean those off with livestock in it? or I really have the empty the water again and wipe the front glass down with vinegar until it becomes clear and load the water up ?

Welcome back! Glad your tank survived. Just found this thread, and really glad it's earthquake weather proof.

No idea about the calcium build up. I'm not even sure I know what that looks like. I've never had that issue before in my tanks.

Welcome back! Glad your tank survived. Just found this thread, and really glad it's earthquake weather proof.

No idea about the calcium build up. I'm not even sure I know what that looks like. I've never had that issue before in my tanks.

I upgraded with a used 90g from another member and I didn't inspect it enough to see the fogginess, I thought it might be cloudy water and will clear up later.

Seems you had a precipitation issue. A blade will take care of that, lots of elbow grease. get a pack of new blades and switch to new one often enough so you don't scratch the glass, just be careful with the silicone seals.

+1 razor blade! or Flipper if you don't want to get wet! :)

I keep hearing about the flipper things. Must be new? When I last had a tank it was those really crappy mag floats, and then I ended up just using a kent scraper with metal blade. Still didn't get wet, and it worked. Only problem was trying to not constantly bump into the light fixture.

i have a flipper but not the one with metal blade :/ and I've tried to clean the glass using blade, the glass is still looking foggy, I've even tried to use fine sand paper. no luck removing this stuff.

I keep hearing about the flipper things. Must be new? When I last had a tank it was those really crappy mag floats, and then I ended up just using a kent scraper with metal blade. Still didn't get wet, and it worked. Only problem was trying to not constantly bump into the light fixture.
LOL that's so funny that you mention. I have the crappy mag floats as well, they are great for picking up sand and scratching up the tank! but Coralline Algae scoffs at mag floats HA! I got a kent Pro Scraper to get clean the tank walls now! It was only 12 bucks!

LOL that's so funny that you mention. I have the crappy mag floats as well, they are great for picking up sand and scratching up the tank! but Coralline Algae scoffs at mag floats HA! I got a kent Pro Scraper to get clean the tank walls now! It was only 12 bucks!

Years back we had a speaker, can't remember his name. One of the things he mentioned is to keep cleaning magnets out of the tank, most of us keep (in my case kept) the cleaning magnets inside the tank; his reason is that small things, calcareous little things eventually build up inside the cleaning pad of the magnet and although we don't see or notice, those tiny things scratch the glass or worse, acrylic...
Flipper magnets seem to be popular and the best part, affordable compared to brands already being sold. I like the Mag Floats, the square ones, I even have one with the surgical blade attachment to clean glass.

i have a flipper but not the one with metal blade :/ and I've tried to clean the glass using blade, the glass is still looking foggy, I've even tried to use fine sand paper. no luck removing this stuff.

Ugh, that is really weird. Is vinegar the only hope? Maybe better now than later...

Haha yes exactly. I still have my old pro scraper and extra new blades from years ago.

Years back we had a speaker, can't remember his name. One of the things he mentioned is to keep cleaning magnets out of the tank, most of us keep (in my case kept) the cleaning magnets inside the tank; his reason is that small things, calcareous little things eventually build up inside the cleaning pad of the magnet and although we don't see or notice, those tiny things scratch the glass or worse, acrylic...
Flipper magnets seem to be popular and the best part, affordable compared to brands already being sold. I like the Mag Floats, the square ones, I even have one with the surgical blade attachment to clean glass.

Really good idea to not keep them in the tank. All my tank scratches were due to the mag float.

6b61f55c725ec4661e86c3387a63d5e6.jpg

Hey @dswong01 remember this little frag you gave me? It’s growing a lot for the last few weeks.

Last edited:
Tank update as of today

55e3ac4932da818a0f4064fd0ff7f3ac.jpg

As you can see the glass is still foggy. Guess I need to do a vinegar wipe soon.

48de024a29e6be1ac213cf996a342f89.jpg

Frag tank on the other hand is doing amazing, gha/Dino are all gone, thinking about putting back black crate again.

Back