Our mission

Questions on TTM

Depending on size of fish. I don't have it set up. It's in storage since I'm not adding any fish right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use the 5 gallon buckets too since they easily stack when I'm not using them. I did my Achilles and my white tail tangs at the same time in them with no issue with the size. I only filled them with 4 gallons of water too.

I got two cheap amazon 10w heaters and one air pump. I buy cheap air stones at about a dozen at a time and like 25' of the air line tubing. I also got a couple 3" ABS elbows from Home Depot for them to hide in too.

Unlike some, I don't use bleach in between transfers and only rinse the bucket and let it thoroughly dry (I use my compressor to blow out all the little crevices). Being dry for 24 hours is key.

I use the water they come in and do a formalin dip for 45 mins then do their first transfer and use prazipro with it. I'll feed on the last of the three days right before transferring to not have a build up of ammonia.

I use the 5 gallon buckets too since they easily stack when I'm not using them. I did my Achilles and my white tail tangs at the same time in them with no issue with the size. I only filled them with 4 gallons of water too.

I got two cheap amazon 10w heaters and one air pump. I buy cheap air stones at about a dozen at a time and like 25' of the air line tubing. I also got a couple 3" ABS elbows from Home Depot for them to hide in too.

Unlike some, I don't use bleach in between transfers and only rinse the bucket and let it thoroughly dry (I use my compressor to blow out all the little crevices). Being dry for 24 hours is key.

I use the water they come in and do a formalin dip for 45 mins then do their first transfer and use prazipro with it. I'll feed on the last of the three days right before transferring to not have a build up of ammonia.

You don't feed for the first nine days????

Also who's the guy in San Jose that sells QT'd fish? Posts on Facebook from time-to-time with a fish list. Anyone know anything about his QT'd fish?

You transfer every 3 days for 12 days. I feed on the third day right before transferring.

Do you feed when the fish first get in as well? Otherwise you have often have weakened fish that have just come into the LFS after a week+ in a bag during transport with no food. Then you add an additional three days?

I TTM all fish. I use 10g tanks, transfer every 3d, for 12d minimum. I do it in the garage and just use an airstone that gets thrown out. I Don't bother with a heater in the summer. If it's a big Tang, i use 20g long.

I usually get them to eat before I start TTM. I typically only feed on 2nd and 3rd day and always use Prime. I also treat with Prazi on at least one of the transfers.

It might sound onerous, but once you have it going, it's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also who's the guy in San Jose that sells QT'd fish? Posts on Facebook from time-to-time with a fish list. Anyone know anything about his QT'd fish?

Yes. He treats all fish with Prazi and an antibiotic. He has a TTM system which he puts most fish through. For delicate fish , he might do just one or two transfers and puts them into a different system. I have purchased fish from him. They're healthy and always eating since he has had them for awhile before selling. Personally, I still QT just like everything else.

Yes. He treats all fish with Prazi and an antibiotic. He has a TTM system which he puts most fish through. For delicate fish , he might do just one or two transfers and puts them into a different system. I have purchased fish from him. They're healthy and always eating since he has had them for awhile before selling. Personally, I still QT just like everything else.

Ok -- I just bought a Pintail Wrasse from him. I'll pick it up later this week. It may solve some issues for me as I live in an apartment and the thought of buckets sitting in my living room or office for a couple of weeks isn't that appealing. I already have too many tanks -- I don't want my place looking like I'm completely weird.

Let's say someone I know still got ich from his suppose qt fishes. I say trust no one but yourself.

This. It's hear say on my part and I don't know all the details but if you are going to TTM all your fish, just do it yourself.

Don't trust that the person actually did it or that he /she didn't make a mistake.

Even if you do it yourself, mistakes do happen (like for me). But at least you can blame yourself for it rather than getting mad at other people.

For me I have too many expensive fishes to be lapse in quarantine regiment and risky a tank wiped. It all comes down to what's your risk factor.

Ok -- I just bought a Pintail Wrasse from him. I'll pick it up later this week. It may solve some issues for me as I live in an apartment and the thought of buckets sitting in my living room or office for a couple of weeks isn't that appealing. I already have too many tanks -- I don't want my place looking like I'm completely weird.

it might already be too late for that. You've got to have room in a closet to stack a couple buckets and keep all the other stuff in the buckets along with them.

It's not a difficult process but if you leave the fish in even an hour longer than the 72 hour limit you have to start over.

Well it's a risk you take. For some it's worth the gamble. If there's no way you're gonna ttm and qt your fish, than getting fish from Matt is better than nothing. I love the guy and got a bunch of fish from him. But I also got ich in my tank even though I QT'd a wrasse from his tanks with sand in it. So I would say, it's not worth it to introduce ich into your tank. You're invested enough into this hobby to setup a temporary foldable table with a couple 5 gallon tanks.

Alright! You have me convinced. I'll set it up. I think I'll use two Innovative Marine 10's on a stand for their 20. That way it will match my frag tank in the office. :) I won't run the backside pump. Just drop in airstones and switch them out each time. They also come with a nice lid.

Back