Cali Kid Corals

sBox Extreme 32" - Any Good thoughts?

Here is what their proprietary layout is...

"Simple, where most black boxes like MarsAqua, GalaxyHydro, Reef Radiance, Evergrow and Reef Breeders use a shotgun method approach, loading in as many different diodes as possible, hoping to hit the right wavelengths, we instead, as seen below, hit all of the key photosynthesis points hard. No wasted energy in wavelengths that do not benefit coral growth and color.

Spectrum%20Nodes%20-%20Logo_1.jpg

The cross point of Chlorophyll A and C is 447nm, that is where Zooxanthallae are most efficient. We hit it very hard. Also note 420nm is where Chlorophyll A peaks and we hit that hard as well. We have more 420nm than any other black box. Also note 420nm is a trigger wavelength that tricks corals into thinking they are in shallower water, resulting in development of more protective pigment "Color". Note we don't hit the 470nm peak of Chlorophyll C as hard, there is a valid reason for this. Chlorophyll C saturates at a lower photon energy, and has a much lower density in most typical corals than Chlorophyll A. This means adding more energy there adds no value after a point. Instead we do something no other black box lights do, we hit the secondary absorption point of the cartenoids present in the Chloroplast hard. The cartenoids absorb the 490nm wavelength and convert the energy into a source the chloroplast can better use. The Cartenoid Peridinin is present in higher concentration than Chlorophyll C as well. We also hit the 660nm peaks of Chlorophyll A&C. Finally we have 395nm True UV, which not only adds to coral flourescence, but development of protective color pigments by again tricking the coral into thinking it's in shallower water. The issue with true UVs though is that the UV actually destroys the lens over time. We have solved this problem by finding a better quality diode with a silica lens instead of plastic. Makes for a little more expensive diode, but it will last more than the 1 year max you get out of a typical plastic lens. For our white channel, we have just enough green and yellow for aesthetics, with the bulk of diodes in the 14K range. We also have 20K diodes, something no other black box has. This provides for a crisp white with hints of blue.

Absorption%20points-.png

That means our light provides more PUR than any other black box, while helping to provide coral coloration only possible with T5s before.

Not all black boxes are created equal! We will put our growth rates and coral color up against any LED, even the trendy high priced fixtures. Add to that quieter fans that have higher CFM for cooler operating temperatures and longer diode life, Built in mounting legs and hanging kit, and finally a 2 YEAR USA WARRANTY!! All for much less than other premium black boxes."
That was some good info.. thanks a lot!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something you should probably watch

BRS team actually tests one of the "black box" lights, granted they are not all the same, but man o man, seeing that flat plate where all of them are mounted on as the extent of the heatsink forever makes me not even want to try these regardless of the price (or my level of cheapassery).

Something you should probably watch

BRS team actually tests one of the "black box" lights, granted they are not all the same, but man o man, seeing that flat plate where all of them are mounted on as the extent of the heatsink forever makes me not even want to try these regardless of the price (or my level of cheapassery).
lol.. I just received this email too.. :)

ae64aa510008bd8d213b1aa2d96210a1.png

This one was my favorite aqua sd rainbow mili ( lost colony so if anyone has it pm me)

I fully trust sb reef lights never ran them at 100% so you would only be using half -75 percent wattage unless you were hanging them really high or had a deep tank mine was 24" deep mine ran 2 years no issues loved the wifi option, no longer using them because I switch to a bigger tank and needed a lot more light and and I couldn't afford 6 of them so I went cheaper and got the mars aqua and rewired them to connect to apex. After all the time and parts I bought in hindsight i should have just spent the money up front and got sb reef lights again but live and learn if I get anything close to the color and growth with my cheaper lights I would be happy. The lights are easy to work on and you can get replacement parts for them however I never had a single issue. If you want to know more about my experience with the sb reef light just pm me but I can tell you I had many die hard metal halide and t5 fans tell me my tank looks better than theirs and they can't believe how good it looks with leds and my electric bill is lower and I don't have to buy bulbs every 8 months so they pay for themselves in a few years... try and find someone who used the lights and didn't like them and why don't go off what the naysayers with no experience with them have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have SBreeflights... and have noticed slower growth of corals compared to T5 same photoperiod. Water parameters 35 ppt, 2 ppm nitrates, phosphates 0.05, Ca 450, Alk 7.5, Mg 1350 ppm,

Lights were 10 inches off water. Started them at 50 bleached some stuff turned them down to 25 and worked up to 70 never got over 70 if I tried things would bleach. But I know some do get them to 100 maybe corals deep light higher or dirty water what ever the case 70 was my MAX

70 blue
65 white
35 uv didn't want to push this one maybe I could have gone higher..

I got to these numbers over several months bumping them just a little each week like 5% max each week and the higher I got the lower the increase to prevent coming home to a bunch of bleached corals

By the way, before I forget to mention. I have tested the PAR between Marsaqua vs. SBReeflights right next to each other. Setting for setting, SBREeflights produces about 100-150 more PAR than Marsaqua on same settings.

I got the ocean revives and they are pretty great.. had them at 20 and 15 percent to start.. and now I am increasing as I go.. will get a par meter to see how are the par around the tank soon..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back